ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: A Custom Page for Inno Setup showing DoCo info and donation benefits

<< < (4/6) > >>

Renegade:
If you would like to spif up the installer with a skin I've used this free tool for Inno Setup in the past:
-MilesAhead (March 12, 2011, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not something I'll be adding, I really dislike any skins beyond the default Windows stuff, and IMHO are a big waste of energy when applied to an installer, that is only run once.
-Ath (March 13, 2011, 05:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Installers are the first exposure to the application, so getting it right is important.

I remember seeing a Paradox installer a very long time ago, and it was one of the coolest I've ever seen. It had music and a wicked cool UI.

But yeah, they're rarely worth bothering with. The higher the number of downloads you have, the more important it is though. But that goes for everything.

For the CodeJock stuff there, I'd checked that out a while back, but didn't really like it much. You really need to do your own design from top to bottom to get it done nicely. The ones they have are decent examples, but just not really up my alley.

I actually really like the Visual Studio installer projects. You can get one done in record time. :)

Ath:
Hm, evaluating all (mixed) responses to this idea, I'm convinced that it should not be me, writing the promotional texts. The idea of having a choice of content is probably the best, categorizing between 'Just a mild hint that it's possible to donate through DC' and a 'Strong, almost begging, type of promotional marketing mumbojumbo', including an even bold link to the 'Donate to me please' page. And then some categories in between. A total of 5 choices (grades) should be enough then.
That should be a good compromise for everyone.

Because of the flexibility of the Inno Setup scripting language and the Pascal Script engine, that is all quite easy ;)

Oh, and did I mention all labels and text are user override-able? And next to that, it comes with source (has to be included in your script), and the texts in a .rtf file (so colors, bold, hyperlinks, etc. are possible), so you are still in full control.

Then for grade 1 the title above the text could be more Author-oriented, like: (Also changed the 'Userpage' to 'info page')
IDEA: A Custom Page for Inno Setup showing DoCo info and donation benefits

Ath:
Well, pending this discussion, I'm inclined to postpone the release of this add-on/plug-in thingy for a bit.

Comments welcome, as always.

mouser:
I think it would be useful to get it into a draft state with sample text and share it, and then maybe others can make some variations.

kyrathaba:
I'd really like to see this move forward, as I'd like to make use of it in my own Inno Setups.

I don't know if anyone ever provided a transparent image of Codie (Cody?), so here's one attached (size 64x64).

Here's a screenshot of where I tested it for transparency in a WinForms app:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version