ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: A Custom Page for Inno Setup showing DoCo info and donation benefits

<< < (2/6) > >>

Ath:
Once you get it looking the way you want i'd like to see a version that is more focused on "Why you should donate to the author" rather that "What is donationcoder"
-mouser (March 12, 2011, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the kind of text I was asking for :) But I couldn't find anything that fitted the bill on the site, maybe it's there, then a pointer would help.

There is a transparent version of that cody image somewhere i can try to find it, if you can use it.
-mouser (March 12, 2011, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

It has to be bmp format, and as I haven't checked for transparency settings in the image control, can't tell yet if that helps or even would look better...

MilesAhead:
If you would like to spif up the installer with a skin I've used this free tool for Inno Setup in the past:

http://isskin.codejock.com/visualstyles.asp

The overhead is a dll that loads the visual style, then unloads it when the installer quits.

Someone artistically inclined could do better, but this is one I did for one of my installers:

edit: this could limit you to a 32 bit version of the installer. I haven't used ISSkin in awhile. I don't know if they have 64 bit dlls available.

jgpaiva:
This is an awesome idea! I will add it to GridMove (assuming you'll share it :P )

worstje:
Well, we obviously all have very different ideas about this, which is good. :)

As my angle was for JottiQ, I am really uncomfortable with any sort of 'donate to me specifically' text as it just does not fit the spirit with which I have worked on the program and the support I have had from Jotti. Of course, I do understand that for most programs, that is not really an issue, so I'll leave my exact opinion about that up in the air until I see what the text and such turn out as.

More strongly though, I am unhappy with the idea of adding 'This Is DonationWare' at the top. And I am referring to that specific sentence. Why? It implies people are required to donate, but that is not true. It would be a free (as in gratis) program for all, with the ability to make a small donation as thanks. The word donationware just gives me the chills: I get the mental image of some extortionist picking you up, turning you around, shaking you till they see how much money falls out, and then thanking you for your donation.

In general, I feel we need to avoid the wheres-the-catch stigma that people get the moment they see a non-standard page in a wizard. Images tend to make me think in terms of extra toolbars. 'Donationware' as misrepresentation of a free tool. Big documents of text imply a secondary EULA or whatever. Does all that even make sense? (I'm tired.)

Perhaps it is best to have several varieties worked out through means of compiler switches or whatnot? Some varieties I had in mind are: 1) introducing 'the concept of donating for software' alone, 2) specifically focus on DonationCoder, 3) some other mix of choice.

JavaJones:
I definitely know what worstje is talking about in reference to the "donationware" label. It's a tricky thing. What matters is people's perception. We'd like *intention* to matter more but ultimately it's all in the eye of the beholder. If they don't understand that the label "donationware" to DC means "donate if you find it useful and can afford to", but rather think it means "you must donate some amount to use this", it will put people off, even if it's more than worth the price of a small donation.

I also like the idea of having different versions of this and letting authors decide how they want to handle it. I can think of at least 2, exemplified by the difference between worstje's approach and some others in the thread: one that focuses on donating to the author, one that focuses on donating to/joining DC in general. I *do* think DC is worth promoting, and like the current fundraiser I don't think we should be apologetic about spreading the word about the site and its resources. It doesn't have to be a plea of any kind, more like a promotional page, but a cool and fun one. It's a chance to show people (perhaps again) what DC really has to offer, besides what the user may have "in their hands" so to speak.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version