ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: A Custom Page for Inno Setup showing DoCo info and donation benefits

(1/6) > >>

Ath:
Hi,

Today worstje came with the great idea of adding a custom Donation Coder page to the JottiQ (Inno Setup) installer (I helped him finish that by adding the .NET/VC++ runtime dependency stuff), to be featured in the next release of JottiQ.
This page should show a text with/including 1 or 2 links that would promote this wonderful site, and convince anyone even slightly interested into making at least a visit to the site, and ofcourse consider to donate while visiting.

The custom page I'll quite easily mock up (this weekend I'll have time for that, it'll be a free 'plug-in' for all dc members using Inno Setup),
it's the text that should go in there that's bugging me a little.

I could copy/paste the text from the left column of the Donation page, but that's quite long to show while pressing next, next, finish during the installation process. I firmly oppose to adding a time-delay to that page (though not impossible; it could even be a delay for the 1st pass only, even when passing multiple times), but all the other apps/installers adding delays or other tricks (scrolling down the entire Windows NT 4 EULA during install to be able to press F8 to continue, comes to mind >:(, and the silly WinZip shareware page where you press 1 of 3 buttons to continue, I often find on co-worker PC's), still these EULA/Shareware pages are not read in the way the supplier had in mind.

If there is an official "short version" of the Donation page text available, I'll be happy to use that, if not: any advise is more than welcome.

For those that haven't noticed, English is not my native language, so any spelling or grammar bloopers would have to be fixed as well :-[

It's a bit of a pity that nobody, including myself, came with this idea earlier, so it could have been used for all apps released during the fundraiser (that need an installer), but when done right (and I intend to do that...) it's usable for more than this fundraiser alone.

worstje:
I want to note that the text/purpose I had in mind was aimed more-so at introducing other DoCo applications and the concept of DonationWare than out-right begging for donations on behalf of DoCo or myself. I've got no real interest in those things, and I tend to feel that people everywhere have been ('properly') immunitized to those (Paypal) Donate! things by now.

My guess is that a lot of applications do not end up in the hands of the end-user through DonationCoder. Thus, a simple page with extra information in an installer would be a nice sort of publicity campaign. An explicit This page is informational only, and no extra 'bundled' software will be installed. message might be useful to add at the bottom, just in case people go into ADSPYCRAPWARE mode the moment they see something that does not involve the name of the application itself.

mouser:
i think this is a great idea -- though i'm actually not so concerned with promoting DC -- but i can see the real value of having a recognizable page with cody on it that tells people that the author is a member of DonationCoder and encourages them to DONATE TO THE AUTHOR.  Encouraging them to visit the site is nice too, but i love the idea of spreading the recognizability of software that people should donate for.

Combine it with a sample simple license text that outlines free-for-personal use, permission for commercial use, and it would be really useful.

Ath:
I've thrown something together, except for the text that I got from the Lorem ipsum generator Renegade cranioscopical (:-[) did a recent micro-mini-review of:

And with the 'Donate to author' not #defined in the script (disables the creation of the link-control)

And for those where "Cody should be on the 'right' side"  :), that's just a #define switch away

(Cody is clickable, hence the hand cursor)

Any replies are welcome,

mouser:
Looking nice..
There is a transparent version of that cody image somewhere i can try to find it, if you can use it.

Once you get it looking the way you want i'd like to see a version that is more focused on "Why you should donate to the author" rather that "What is donationcoder"

Maybe something like, at top instead of "DonationCoder Userpage" it might say "This is a Donationware Application"
With top text saying "This application is free for personal use, but the author strongly requests that you make a donation if you find it useful. Commercial inquiries welcome."

And then the main window could have headline "How Do I Donate?"
With text something like:
"Donating is safe and easy, and comes with some serious benefits!

The author of this program is part of the DonationCoder.com community -- and asks that you make a donation to to them if you find this program useful, in order to support it's continued development and support.

Blah blah more details here on how to send a donation directly to the author and other links.."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version