topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Fox Sends DMCA Takedown To Google To Remove Link To DMCA Takedown Sent By Fox  (Read 11529 times)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://www.techdirt....edown-sent-fox.shtml

I can't stop laughing at this!  It shows just *how* overzealous they are...   it seems that takedown notices now breed from this example...

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Careful, now mouser is going to receive a DMCA for linking to an article discussing multiple Fox DMCA notices that in part involve other DMCA notices. We'll need a second fundraiser if that happens just to deal with the lawsuits, and then we'll end up receiving another notice and/or lawsuit for 'making money' based on their property.

Gotta love lawyers. Even if I am proven to be wrong, I am going to be damn close to the truth either way.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice of them to list all of the links to be taken down in the take-down notice ... One-stop shopping anyone...

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So fox site's results are going to get stripped out from the search now ? :P

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hm, the cause of your non stop laugh is not in vain at all. Here the reasons of taking down the notice isn't clear at me. But, there's the way to strip up it by receiving the DCMA and mouser is ready to do it.

I dare say this fellow will be writing Shakespeare soon enough!

- Oshyan

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
That was simply amazing!

This article has a few interesting bits/twists:

http://www.techeye.n...r-its-own-censorship

Confusing isn't it? This is because Fox's lawyers are in a perpetual legal loop trying to use the DMCA to shut up Chilling Effects and have not worked out that they are simply creating more Chilling Effects posts.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It was so much easier in the good old days when people with a mindset like Fox could just burn books; and round up everyone they didn't like and put them in camps for "rehabilitation." Spanking' uniforms they wore too. And it was pretty "fair & balanced" treatment I understand.  Everybody was equally subject to being arrested at whim.

Doesnt get any fairer than that.

Now they have to go to court and file papers and lawsuits. What a hassle.

FoxNews Prevails! :-\

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:26 AM by 40hz »

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hm, the cause of your non stop laugh is not in vain at all. Here the reasons of taking down the notice isn't clear at me. But, there's the way to strip up it by receiving the DCMA and mouser is ready to do it.

Okay, is there any change in TOFEL's standards lately ?

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Now they have to go to court and file papers and lawsuits. What a hassle.

It's called billable hours = $$$$$$$
IMO whether the reason it is legitimate or not, win or lose it's still $$$$$$$

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know an attorney that would agree. He says: Justice has it's place in the courtroom. But right, wrong, or indifferent - in the end it's all billable time.

In his defense, he says that to discourage clients who are super gung-ho to file lawsuits he considers without merit. Known this attorney for years. He's an honorable guy. He'd be a lot richer - and probably retired and sitting in a beach house on Nantucket if he were a little less honorable.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 02:49 PM by 40hz, Reason: Correct my iPhone\'s spellcheck \"correction.\" GDIHTFP!!! »

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

+1 to this gentleman.  This philosophy makes him a credit to his profession and is due the respect.  It is the "other side" which I unfortunately have had dealings with that get my goat.  Anyway, didn't mean to get off topic.  Just had to put my $0.02 in.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Q: What's the difference between a bad lawyer and a good lawyer?

Spoiler
A: A bad lawyer can drag a case out for years.  A good lawyer can make it go even longer!

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
public void CheckDMCA()
{
if (Google.Results.Contains("DMCA takedown"))
{
SendMail.To("Google");
CheckDMCA();
}
}

;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

The US Center for Disease Control has announced they will no longer be using rats in their scientific research. Going forward, all experiments will be conducted using attorneys.

Reason
The reason for this change in protocol is threefold.

After an extensive study, the CDC concluded that:

1. Attorneys are easily bought, and available in almost unlimited supply.

2. Close observation has proven beyond any doubt that they are completely indifferent to pain and suffering.

3. The CDC occasionally conducts behavioral studies. And when it comes to individual behaviors, there are some which are so dirty, and utterly disgusting, that a rat will flat out refuse to do them.

;)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 03:03 PM by 40hz »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
public void CheckDMCA()
{
if (Google.Results.Contains("DMCA takedown"))
{
SendMail.To("Google");
CheckDMCA();
}
}

;)
-fenixproductions (March 11, 2011, 12:34 PM)

Nice!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
4. Labratory staff occasionally get attached to the rats...

The US Center for Disease Control has announced they will no longer be using rats in their scientific research. Going forward, all experiments will be conducted using attorneys.
 ;)

The reason for this change in protocol is threefold.

After an extensive study, the CDC concluded that:

1. Attorneys are easily bought, and available in almost unlimited supply.

2. Close observation has proven beyond any doubt that they are completely indifferent to pain and suffering.

3. The CDC occasionally conducts behavioral studies. And when it comes to individual behaviors, there are some which are so dirty, and utterly disgusting, that a rat will flat out refuse to do them.

4. Labratory staff occasionally get attached to the rats...

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey!  My post disappeared!

;)

I might not be able to out-pun chris, but surely I can out-joke you...

Q: What's the problem with lawyer jokes?
Spoiler
A: Lawyers don't think they're funny, and no one else thinks they're jokes!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I know an attorney that would agree. He says: Justice has it's place in the courtroom.

A Supreme Court Justice would disagree: "This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I know an attorney that would agree. He says: Justice has it's place in the courtroom.

A Supreme Court Justice would disagree: "This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice." - Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

I think he meant it in the same way a 13th century baron believed a lively and ongoing debate about the rights of his tenants had a place in village discourse. And that place was up on a scaffold, begging for mercy, with a hangman in attendance.  ;)

---------

re: Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. - Interesting guy. And a colorful S.C. Justice. But way too cynical for his (or our) own good at times.

This was the same judge that authored the majority opinion in a case (Buck v Bell) supporting a State's right to sterilize someone deemed an "imbecile" (i.e. mental capabilities below what was deemed an acceptable level of intelligence) against their will. He justified his decision by closing with this less frequently quoted statement:

Three generations of imbeciles are enough.

Less than 20 years later, justices from the United States, along with their counterparts from Britain, France, and the Soviet Union would sentence Dr Karl Brandt, Viktor Brack, and seven other Nazi officials to death for their role in the infamous "T4" euthanasia program. T4 documented and systematically murdered somewhere around 200,000 physically or mentally handicapped people deemed unfit to live in human society.

Apparently some other people shared Justice Holmes pragmatic vision of how to make a more perfect world.  :(

Nice to see the rest of the world was a bit more interested in justice than in the letter of law.  :)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:01 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I might not be able to out-pun chris,

Few can.  :Thmbsup:

but surely I can out-joke you...

Most do. ;D

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:55 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

There are two types of lawyers.  Those that know the law, and those that know the judge. :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
There are two types of lawyer.  Those who appeal and those who do not.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
There are two types of lawyer, but nobody likes lawyers enough to get to know the difference.