topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Automatic Updater  (Read 6367 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Automatic Updater
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:30 AM »
I was looking for an automatic updater, and found this:

http://wyday.com/wyupdate/

It seems pretty good. I've tested it out some and it was good enough that I bought a license. ($70 vs. $250) Nice to save a few bucks there as I already spend WAAAAYYY too much on software as it is.

Anyways, thought that might be interesting for some people.

Oh, and there's a free version with BSD licensed source code as well.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Automatic Updater
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:46 AM »
AutoUpdater, Open Candy... a sure recipe to stay away from your software.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 01:48 AM »
Hm, sounds just like... DcUpdater :-[

And it also looks like a solution looking for a problem :huh:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 02:11 AM »

I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant.

What do you know about OpenCandy? I mean that you actually have first hand knowledge of, and not from [10] some third party that read an article based on a forum post about a blog post from someone who heard about GOTO 10.

I suppose that you've uninstalled:

• Windows
  • Linux
  • Adobe Acrobat
  • Sun Java
  • Firefox
  • iTunes
  • etc.
  • etc.
  • etc.

There's nothing nefarious about an autoupdater. You poll to see if there's a new version available, then let the user decide if they want to update.

Updates are for my software only. Not for anything else.

Jeez...

Like I said in another post, the thing I hate in this business is that anytime you want to get paid for your work, people come out of the woodwork lambasting you wanting to make a living.

Hm, sounds just like... DcUpdater :-[

And it also looks like a solution looking for a problem :huh:

Actually, it's much different.

I can't see any problems though. It's pretty simple. Check if a new version is available. Update if needed.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 06:35 PM »

I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant. I will not rant.

Shut up then!

I am not going to go down this path with you, Renegade. You seem to be annoyed at anything and anyone that does not think like or hold the same views as you do.

Your initial post was (intentionally, maybe) vague. I think you were hoping to get the kind of response that would give you a chance at another rant. Well than, I feel blessed for being part of a process that helped you release. Anyways, 'Automatic Updater' and 'Automatic Version Check' is not the same thing (both not welcome,IMO).

It should be a user's choice whether a software connects to the Internet every run.
(I do not have a funny video to attach here, sorry.  ;))

Bye.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Shut up then!

I am not going to go down this path with you, Renegade. You seem to be annoyed at anything and anyone that does not think like or hold the same views as you do.

Your initial post was (intentionally, maybe) vague. I think you were hoping to get the kind of response that would give you a chance at another rant. Well than, I feel blessed for being part of a process that helped you release. Anyways, 'Automatic Updater' and 'Automatic Version Check' is not the same thing (both not welcome,IMO).

It should be a user's choice whether a software connects to the Internet every run.
(I do not have a funny video to attach here, sorry.  ;))

Bye.

The original post was about a software component. It's currently on sale. It's useful. I thought it would be nice to share that with other developers here.

Then you come out firing away with insults.

You seem to be annoyed at anything and anyone that does not think like or hold the same views as you do.

Your post was a flat out attack on me. There's a difference between insulting someone and holding an opinion. You started with insults.

I think you were hoping to get the kind of response that would give you a chance at another rant.

Where does that come from? It's a standard thing for software to do. I listed a few above that have autoupdaters. Most major software titles do it. What is there to rant about? You're the one ranting:

Did you even look at it? Do you know what it does?

Shut up then!

Nicely put. Is there anything else constructive you'd like to add to the discussion that I thought would be about a software component?

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 08:56 PM »
I think both sides could temper the flames a bit and tone down the sarcasm and hostility. :) If I may be so free to mediate as a neutral, thus far uninvolved party... ;)

PhilB66, you might in the future want to add a bit of argumentation to your post. Posting about different products and claiming their sort is horrible without explanation sort of fuels the trolls of the internet. Those other products have their threads already, so it is nice for this particular topic to stay near its roots. Also bold red megasize text comes across to me with as much emphasis as simply bolded text, save that I do not take the contents as seriously.

Renegade, your point would have come across just fine without the jab towards PhilB66 regarding past hostilities. Or without the centennial pastes of the same sentence. Or with the quoting of the big bold red stuff.

Now I demand you two go kiss and make up. :-*

Regarding the actual topic on wyupdate... its webpage looks nice, but since the file specification page is actually quite empty I cannot form an opinion about its technical suitability and usability from a programmers perspective. Does anyone have experience with it so far, or can enlighten me a bit about the details? I am curious how it compares to dcuhelper/dcupdater and such. (I am a bit of a sucker for free as in BSD free. :-[)

Hot damn, this is so offtopic but I cannot help myself... 300 posts!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:57 PM by worstje »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 10:00 PM »
Regarding the actual topic on wyupdate... its webpage looks nice, but since the file specification page is actually quite empty I cannot form an opinion about its technical suitability and usability from a programmers perspective. Does anyone have experience with it so far, or can enlighten me a bit about the details? I am curious how it compares to dcuhelper/dcupdater and such. (I am a bit of a sucker for free as in BSD free. :-[)

It works very well and is simple to put in.

I've not tried the DCUpdater. The page it was on didn't have much information, and I only checked the thread on it now. So, I can't really say much there.

The wyUpdate lets you choose how many days to leave between checks, whether to only check, check and download, or leave it automatic or do nothing.

In my brief tests, it works very well and does what it says it does. It can update and restart the application for the user. It's minimally intrusive and has only a small icon in the default view:

Screenshot - 2011-03-11 , 2_35_03 PM.png

Screenshot - 2011-03-11 , 2_35_59 PM.png

Screenshot - 2011-03-11 , 2_35_53 PM.png

You can hide it by clicking on it.

So it has a nice, clean UI, minimally intrusive, and offers a good amount of control over the process.

Deployment is simple. You use the wyBuild utility to create 2 files that you deploy with your software:

client.wyc
wyUpdate.exe

The client file contains the information. The EXE is the actual updater.

You also integrate the AutomaticUpdater.dll into your program, but it's not necessary. It gives you the front-facing UI stuff inside your software. The EXE runs itself, so you obviously can't put that in your own software, but it is also customizable to a degree.

The Automatic updating can be silent as well, so if you have a networked application that relies on clients running the same version (a lot of games are like this), then it's perfect. You never need to bother the user at all.

I think I'll run with "Check Only" though as that should be sufficient. Users can simply click to update with minimal fuss, which is nice.

In fact, it is so clean and seamless, that you're kind of left wondering if anything happened at all! :) Usually things are much messier.

Hot damn, this is so offtopic but I cannot help myself... 300 posts!

YAY~! :D

Gotta get those in there when they're timely~! :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 12:05 AM »
Does sound very much like DcUpdater (well dcuhelper to be more specific) -- which isn't a bad thing :)
Might be nice to hear what it does better so i can improve dcuhelper -- though i actually have some plans of my own for that this month ;)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 05:27 PM »
Well, I don't really know the DCUpdater, but here's a nice little thing:

http://wyday.com/wyb...pdates/translate.php

I don't like some of the string in there, e.g.:

PrematureExitMessage :   wyUpdate ended before the current update step could be completed.

Because nobody knows what "wy" is. So, the translation feature let's me change a few strings quite easily:

Code: C# [Select]
  1. private void SetUpdaterText()
  2.         {
  3.             automaticUpdater1.Translation.AlreadyUpToDate = "This is the latest version.";
  4.             automaticUpdater1.Translation.PrematureExitMessage = "Updater ended before the current update step could be completed.";
  5.             automaticUpdater1.Translation.PrematureExitTitle = "Updater exited prematurely";
  6.         }

It's a nice little convenience.

I went through the EXE and did the same, though that's done in the utility program that comes with the software, and not in your own program. Still, very easy to do.