topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: timns Friendly Password Generator  (Read 33824 times)

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
timns Friendly Password Generator
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:23 PM »
A Password Generator with some Friendly Features

Run the program directly from this link (links to signed Java Web Start application)

... and it's only 67k!

Application Nametimns Friendly Password Generator
Version1.0.1.2
Short DescriptionConfigurable Random Password Generator
Supported OSesAnything that can run Java
Web PageHere
Download LinkFriendly Password Generator
Version History
  • Brand New
Authortimns

Description
This is another random password generator, but with a couple of features which I personally find useful. I hope you guys do too.

Features

• Very random, very mixed, and thus very secure, passwords
  • User-definable password length
  • User-definable password content (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, punctuation)
  • Creates as many passwords as you need

Interesting Features

Clarity - the generator tries to find passwords which do not contain any characters which may appear ambiguous. Examples of such characters include (but are not limited to) O & 0, 1 & l, etc.

Memorability - the friendly part of the program has a basic understanding of how we read words. The generator will try to create sequences of letters and numbers that can be read and pronounced similarly to real words, and thus perhaps are more memorable. They could be used as is, or perhaps provide the seed of an idea for you to invent your own super-safe password.

fpg1.jpgtimns Friendly Password Generator

Include & Exclude - you can suggest to the generator that it should avoid, or prefer, any characters you wish. Simply key them into the text boxes.

Include characters may or may not appear in your password, but will crop up more frequently than other characters.

Excluded characters will NOT appear in your password. This is very useful if you find certain password characters confusing, hard to remember or inconvenient on your keyboard layout.

Key words -  I believe this is a somewhat unique feature (no doubt someone will tell me I'm wrong here). If you specify a word in this field, the generator will create a unique password according to all the rules, same as usual. But - the password will be reproducible any time you run this program, if you use the same key word and same settings.

You can therefore create passwords which are utterly unique, and not have to remember them or write them down. As long as you can remember your key word, you can always recover your password. It is not stored anywhere, so is totally secure.

For example, you can use this feature when signing up to a new site that requires a login. Simply use the site's name as your key word. You will get a password that is unique to you for that site, which can be recovered any time in the future if you forget it.

In addition, even if by some weird coincidence you happen to use the same key word as another person, you will still get completely different passwords to each other.

Copy and Copy Friendly -  the Copy button puts the password into your clipboard ready for use.

Copy Friendly spells out your password so there can be no confusion as to which characters have been used. I personally use this a lot when handing out passwords on our servers.

Here's an example:
Code: Text [Select]
  1. \3sj4>dH
  3. \    backslash
  4. 3    number three
  5. s    lowercase s
  6. j    lowercase j
  7. 4    number four
  8. >    right angle bracket
  9. d    lowercase d
  10. H    uppercase H

Planned Features
Profiles may be useful, so that you can generate different types of passwords without fiddling with all the checkboxes and text boxes.

Screenshots
fp2.pngtimns Friendly Password Generator

Usage
Installation
No installation required - the program is launched via Java webstart. Just click the link to run.

Using the Application
Launch, and choose your options. Roll the mouse over each checkbox and button to learn a little more about its function.

Uninstallation
Nothing to uninstall.

Known Issues
None that I am aware of.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 10:15 PM by timns, Reason: Various pin-headed typos »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: timns Friendly Password Generator
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:33 PM »
Looks pretty good timns.  does it or can it have the ability to create more than one password at a time?  I like the options, such as for memorabilty. 

I don't remember any other generators having that but I am sure someone will prove otherwise.   :)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 09:39 PM »
Looks good! I currently use this, which has some similar features, but yours looks even better.

- Oshyan

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:41 PM »
My god you were quick off the mark, techidave!

Yes, no doubt some other SOB has some of these features. But my plagiarism gland is not acting up, since as usual I never bothered to do any research before writing this  :Thmbsup:

I can make it create a series of passwords if you would find it handy, no problem.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 09:43 PM »
Key words -  I believe this is a somewhat unique feature (no doubt someone will tell me I'm wrong here). If you specify a word in this field, the generator will create a unique password according to all the rules, same as usual. But - the password will be reproducible any time you run this program, if you use the same key word and same settings.
That's an interesting feature.

In addition, even if by some weird coincidence you happen to use the same key word as a another person, you will still get completely different passwords to each other.

I'm curious about this bit - what's the additional piece of data that factors into the password generation?  Would the generated password be different if I ran the program on a different machine or if it was logged on as a different user?  If I don't understand what would make the generated password the same/different, I might not be able to recover the password for that Swiss bank account that has the $2 million that I might one day donate to DC...

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:45 PM »
Looks good! I currently use this, which has some similar features, but yours looks even better.

- Oshyan

Son of a mother! It has some of the features mine does... but in a far more primitive interface  :P

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:47 PM »
I'm curious about this bit - what's the additional piece of data that factors into the password generation?  Would the generated password be different if I ran the program on a different machine or if it was logged on as a different user?  If I don't understand what would make the generated password the same/different, I might not be able to recover the password for that Swiss bank account that has the $2 million that I might one day donate to DC...

A very good question my liege. You will indeed have to be on the same PC and logged in as the same user. It's all about seeds, hashes and UUIDs.

Speaking of that 2 mill, mouser said I should hold onto it for him, so when you're ready just pop it over, ok?

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:49 PM »
I have looked at several of these over the years thinking I would use them in our school.  But the lack of making them "easy" to remember wasn't attractive to me.  After looking at yours program using say lower case, no numbers or special punctuations, and 4 characters long with the memorability checked made it a winner in my eyes.

I don't need it (for me) to create thousands of passwords at a time as we are only 140 students K-12.

I typically would work by grade level on something like this at one time so for me and only me, 25 different passwords would be awesome!

Your pretty fast on the draw your self!  :Thmbsup:

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 10:00 PM »
I had to share this password. If that ain't both pronounceable and memorable, I don't know what is!

ouch.pngtimns Friendly Password Generator

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:13 PM »
Ok, I just uploaded a new version which can generate as many passwords as you like. The form is resizable so you can pull it out a bit to see all the passwords, or scroll.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:29 PM »
Very nice, Tim.  Thanks for sharing.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 12:29 AM »
If that ain't both pronounceable and memorable, I don't know what is!

If it was "Bumsore5" then you could pronounce it like "bum sores" :D ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 03:53 AM »
very nice timns!

With XP + classic theme, the [Reset Fields] button gets cropped to [Reset Fi...]
Will it be downloadable at any stage?
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 07:42 AM »
I had to share this password. If that ain't both pronounceable and memorable, I don't know what is!
 (see attachment in previous post)
Wasn't that the Fingal O'Flahertie gang?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39 AM »
very nice timns!

With XP + classic theme, the [Reset Fields] button gets cropped to [Reset Fi...]

Sure, why not. I'll make it available today if possible.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 10:00 AM »
This is cool, but just for my sake...
Could you also make the Asshole Password Generator?  It should do the opposite of what you specify it to do.  If I want uppercase, it gives me lowercase.  If I want random characters, it gives me easy words like "password".  .etc

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 10:15 AM »
Could you also make the Asshole Password Generator?  It should do the opposite of what you specify it to do.  If I want uppercase, it gives me lowercase.  If I want random characters, it gives me easy words like "password".  .etc

;D - so an April 01 edition of this thing eh?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 11:16 AM »
Could you also make the Asshole Password Generator?  It should do the opposite of what you specify it to do.  If I want uppercase, it gives me lowercase.  If I want random characters, it gives me easy words like "password".  .etc
;D - so an April 01 edition of this thing eh?
It's funny...it wouldn't be too much different than some other programs I am not fond of.  I remember working in Visio and thinking, "Visio!  What is your F--king problem?!   I'm trying to snap a line to this shape and it auto-snaps to EVERY SINGLE POINT other than the one I want!"  Drove me nuts.  It would seriously snap to just about everything except the very obvious and simple place I wanted it to go.  Argh!

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 10:03 PM »
very nice timns!

Downloadable now old chap  :)

Runnable jar, again signed so it should run happily more-or-less anywhere

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 10:12 PM »
Nice work with that one, timns!

Oh yes, that reminds me...   
How long did it take you to ensure that every single one of my passwords was going to be profoundly vulgar?

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:26 AM »
[Runnable jar, again signed so it should run happily more-or-less anywhere
Can I make a tiny suggestion?

If I use it to generate a single password, for my own use that I intend to paste straight into a form, the COPY button copies it to the clipboard with a terminal <CR> that I'd prefer wasn't there... or perhaps I could choose to not include.

Of course, if I'm using it to make a list, or phonetic lists, this isn't relevant.
-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.