ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

England Is Grinding To A Halt.

<< < (6/13) > >>

KynloStephen66515:
Perhaps even this

Which will, of course...inevitably lead to this

rgdot:
I can add two things to this subject

1) Technology to use things as simple as tap water for fuel have existed for years but often dismissed for various reason like limited mileage and other - in my estimation - 'fixable' reasons.

2) As far as the developed world goes North America is surely the worst for public transportation. Examples:
- High speed trains in America are only now in the pre-planning stage.
- Here in Canada I live in a Toronto (Canada's biggest city in case you are not familiar) suburb which is around 10 km to the official city limits and only in the last decade have I been able to go inside the city limits straight, without changing buses! (yes it's true, and not in the woods either, just a typical suburb)

Stoic Joker:
1) Technology to use things as simple as tap water for fuel have existed for years but often dismissed for various reason like limited mileage and other - in my estimation - 'fixable' reasons.-rgdot (March 10, 2011, 09:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

On the water front I'm a big fan of hydrogen. It can be used in existing reciprocal combustion engines, and electric cars with hydrogen fuel cells. Not to mention it's virtually impossible to run out of.

zridling:
We have Korean TV in my area here in the US and I see the priorities of public spending in South Korea that Renegade refers to. Much different than here in the US, where public spending is anathema to the conservative party. We had a viable electric car in the 80s for a brief moment until Detroit smothered it, bought it, and killed it.

I live in a small town (<16k residents) where everyone must drive to work. Gasoline was about $1/liter ($3.89/gallon) here today. That's more than half a minimum hourly wage, which makes low-paying jobs not worth working! That is, you can't afford to work at them! And except for a few of the largest cities, there are no trains or subways here. Hey, but we can afford endless, purposeless war! I really, really feel for you guys in England and throughout Europe. People would love alternative, clean fuels, but governments and corporations have always hated them -- how can they rob us blind all the way to the grave unless we're dependent on fossil fuels. We knew this full well in the early 70s, but despite electing the guy time after time who says, "We're going to get off oil this time!" (they all say it), none ever follow through.

I say we impose a "plutocracy tax" on the rich and let their wealth bring down/pay for higher crude! (In the US, they just buy the candidates who will vote exactly how they want -- if not this election, surely the next.) It's depressing to be at the mercy of idiots. Greedy idiots.

Stoic Joker:
I say we impose a "plutocracy tax" on the rich and let their wealth bring down/pay for higher crude! (In the US, they just buy the candidates who will vote exactly how they want -- if not this election, surely the next.) It's depressing to be at the mercy of idiots.-zridling (March 10, 2011, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version