topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: Play two audio files at the same time.  (Read 11369 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: Play two audio files at the same time.
« on: March 10, 2011, 03:37 PM »
Hi folks,

Last night I ended up with 2 copies of the same song with some minor differences between them.

File 1 was 128kbps but was ~40 seconds longer.
File 2 was 256kbps but ~40 seconds shorter.

I wanted to compare them (yeah, I realize this is probably not the best way to do that) so I opened each up in a separate audio player and then spent half the song fiddling with the Pause/Play buttons trying to sync them up.

What I'd like is a utility that allows you to select two audio files, queue them (separately) to a specific part of the song (in case the audio doesn't start at the same time in the tracks), and have a play button that starts both files at the same time, which avoids the short delay when you have to move your mouse from one to the other.

Is this stupid? Is it hard? Is it crazy enough to do anyway?

Other potential uses:

Just to see how two different songs sound layered on top of each other.
???
Profit!

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Play two audio files at the same time.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 03:45 PM »
I think what you're needing is an audio editor and not an audio player.  Audacity should be able to handle your needs though I'm sure some of the more audio-engineer types may have better suggestions.  =]

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Agreed. In this case you could easily use an editor for this, but not necessarily actually "edit" anything. Simply load both files in e.g. Audacity (free) as multiple tracks in a single project. Then you can view their waveforms, potentially matching them up that way, you can drag them along the timeline to sync them with each other, you can play both together or "solo" one of them (or selectively mute if you're dealing with more than 2 tracks). Once you determine the differences you can decide what you want to do with that info of course. :D

- Oshyan

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Dang. Whenever I think I've finally come up with a good Coding Snack idea it always already exists or would be better achieved some other way.

I had actually thought of loading them into an editor but didn't want to go through the bother of installing one. But now that you both have mentioned Audacity I now remember that I already have that "installed" in my PortableApps. :Thmbsup:

Thanks!

Case closed, I guess.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: Play two audio files at the same time.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01 PM »
Woo! Quick and easy solutions are still satisfying if you ask me. :D

- Oshyan