ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do it yourself dropbox

<< < (2/9) > >>

argv:
And I have no MB limit
-kartal (March 08, 2011, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's hard to believe

I know I personally never put anything private into my Dropbox folder.
-Eóin (March 09, 2011, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Personally I'm using a TrueCrypt disk in the dropbox folder for really private data

kartal:
I have several times thought about creating my own such synchronization service. But I have never actually started on it, that is, I never got past sshfs.

I want to have my personal service because I don't trust 'them'. Sometimes there terms & conditions are not really in my favor (all your stuff belong to us, but you are still liable). Having a system that works for clients on different platforms -- linux, windows, mac, mobile os -- would be awesome.
-housetier (March 09, 2011, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

My first post was about making data available to outside world on demand(securely and freely). Since you are also wondering about syncing ,I use Unison+SSH for unidirectional syncing(multiple platforms) and works great. I sync GBs of data a day sometimes among 3-4 computers for personal and professional use. I sync big files, text files, video files etc.

@argv
Not sure if you are being sarcastic about the data limit, but really I have alot of empty space, and I can buy new hd as I needed.

Also syncing Truerypt container might be an ok idea for small data, but really  you need to sync the container file every time you change something in the container disc(save a new text file ), for anything bigger than couple hundred MB wont be feasible for my use.

f0dder:
kartal: perhaps he's using block-based rather than file-based syncing?

mwb1100:
I think that Unison uses rsync to perform the transfer, so entire files aren't transferred, only the different bits (as detected by rsync).

kartal:
I think that Unison uses rsync to perform the transfer, so entire files aren't transferred, only the different bits (as detected by rsync).
-mwb1100 (March 09, 2011, 09:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes Unison is using rsync by default, and I found it to be quite fast since all the clients also acts as servers(Unison always has first hand access to local files).

This is not like syncing files over FTP, Unison knows which files has changed and it can detect moved files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version