topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Chrome/Chromium has Firefox "deskCut" functionality built in!  (Read 7279 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I was looking around for an extension for Chromium that would perform as Firefox deskCut AddOn.  I ran across this article while searching.  Turns out the functionality is built in!! That's cheating!! Way too easy!!!

I'm running Chromium 11.0.686.0 and instead of a Star on the left of the Address Bar as shown in the article, it has some round thingy.  I can't tell if it's supposed to be a smiling face or a soccer ball or what, but it works.  Highlight url in the Address Bar then drag the ball onto the desktop. You get a Chrome/Chromium icon shortcut that browses to that page when double-clicked.

http://www.tothepc.c...chrome-by-drag-drop/

edit: I've tried this in Windows7. Judging by comments for the article, it may not work on Mac or Linux.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:11 PM by MilesAhead »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chrome/Chromium has Firefox "deskCut" functionality built in!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 05:38 PM »
I'm running Chrome 10.x and the star is on the Right side of the Omnibox, but doesn't work as described.

I do have that "round thingy" on the left side, which looks like the Earth to me (the Americas are most visible). And yes, it creates a shortcut as described. :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chrome/Chromium has Firefox "deskCut" functionality built in!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 07:18 PM »
I'm running Chrome 10.x and the star is on the Right side of the Omnibox, but doesn't work as described.

I do have that "round thingy" on the left side, which looks like the Earth to me (the Americas are most visible). And yes, it creates a shortcut as described. :Thmbsup:

That works the same as mine.  The star on the right is the Bookmark button.  Took me awhile to realize that too.  Oh well, once I get used to it the thing works pretty well. I have mixed feelings about the options looking like a web page.  Seems no matter how they group them I have to hunt for stuff.