ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

What DonationCoder.com Would Do with a Two Million Dollar Donation

<< < (3/6) > >>

mahesh2k:
This *idea* will restrict the flow of knowledge to a particular geographical area which i always hate to see. These things are possible online (cutting the building and related part) if we wish to do so. It's like bringing together "stackoverflow+donationcoder+sourceforge+google summer of code" under single brand.

steeladept:
This *idea* will restrict the flow of knowledge to a particular geographical area which i always hate to see. These things are possible online (cutting the building and related part) if we wish to do so. It's like bringing together "stackoverflow+donationcoder+sourceforge+google summer of code" under single brand.
-mahesh2k (March 10, 2011, 02:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the point was to provide most of the living expenses so they didn't need to worry about that while coding the project(s).  Online options like this already abound as you point out and are only partially successful on the level I think Mouser is talking about.  That whole rent/food/bills/etc. thing keeps people from donating a lot more time, and my understanding is that would be the point.  Of course I could be way out in left field again too....

mouser:
the idea was just to imagine creating a real world place that could be like a physical realization of the website.. where as steeladept said, programs could come and stay for a time without having to worry about paying for rent, but also to be a kind of programmer's commune, where everyone helped each other out, stayed up all night creating new things,and just in general be a welcoming DC hub for visitors from across the globe to visit and meet each other, and then to be a community center hacker/coder space in a city that needed it.  and then while day dreaming might as well day dream that it would become self-sufficient based on donations and could open up similar spaces in cities all over globe :)

mouser:
this was just a fun daydream post, don't take it too seriously -- just try to imagine a place we could all meet up and hang out in real life.

app103:
Way back in my early days at DC, I heard about this little fantasy in the IRC channel and it reminded me of a similar fantasy we had in my chat room, where we were going to pool our resources and buy my 4 unit apartment building (it was up for sale at the time). Then all the members of my little coding community that had no place to go would always find a welcome home they could go to if things got a little too tough for them. At the time a number of us were facing possible homelessness, and as much as I wanted to take them all in, there was no way I could fit everyone in my small apartment. Unfortunately (or maybe luckily) we couldn't come up with the $400,000 between the 60 of us.

It was this similar way of thinking though, that was one of the reasons why I stuck around. It felt like some place I missed very much. DC was like my own little community, all grown up... It felt like I had found home again.  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version