ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

What DonationCoder.com Would Do with a Two Million Dollar Donation

(1/6) > >>

mouser:
This is a post that all Billionaires should read carefully.  The rest of you can skip it.

I thought it would be fun to imagine what we would do with a single 2 million dollar donation/grant, just for the hell of it.  It's not something serious, just a thought experiment, and in case any long time DC member wins the lottery and hits their head hard on the same day.

Ok so what would we do with a Two Million Dollar (after taxes please) donation?

* I propose we create a Programming Co-operative living space.
* Purchase a multi-unit apartment building in town of donor's choice, with a bottom floor zoned for commercial use.  We could aim for something 10 residential units in the building maybe.  Fixer upper is fine and preferred and I'm happy to do the work fixing it up with volunteers.
* The residential units will be provided as rotating medium-term free living spaces for programmers who are willing to spend most of their time working on free/opensource/donationware software, and on teaching programming.
* The bottom space should be used as an open community programming/hacker space where nerds can come to hang out, write software, work on experimental computer projects (art exhibits, etc.), help tutor people in programming, and play and invent board games.
* The building will be DC headquarters and open at all hours to visitors and to provide assistance to learning coders; it will be an official non-profit and raise money to pay for ongoing expenses.
* On the front of the building will be a bronze bust of the donor holding Cody the mascot in his hands.
Any ideas to add?

Ath:
This is a post that all Billionaires should read carefully.  The rest of you can skip it.
-mouser (March 08, 2011, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
And what happens if we don't :o

iphigenie:
I like the idea  :Thmbsup:

PS: Considered doing that a few times - not donate 2 million dollars but offer board and lodging (have a huge house) to someone who wants to work on a free software project. Never went beyond vague idea though, the "how you would get about it" is scary (to me)

PPS: what I would do with 2 million would probably be a bit more educational - try to find "natural programmers" in the crowds of people discarded up front by the system, and train them up into the trade :)

cranioscopical:
Purchase a multi-unit apartment building in town of donor's choice,
-mouser (March 08, 2011, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
You're a bit optimistic about what a couple of million US$ will buy these days,  aren't you?  ;D
I think you need a few more mythical donors  ;D

edbro:
I'd do it but I'm about 999,999,999 short of my first billion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version