Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 17, 2014, 08:36:48 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: JrDebugLogger - Viewer Speed  (Read 8839 times)
Reldas
Charter Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:15:04 PM »

I have noticed that DebugMonitorViewer really hogs the CPU when messages are output in quick succession. This is quite a common occurrence in my application and it is severely affecting performance. On these occasions Task Manager shows that the DebugMonitorViewer process uses 99% of the CPU leaving nothing left for the parent application. It seems that inserting the log rows into the viewer's internal database is just too slow. Even after I exit my application I can see log rows still being added to the viewer as it catches up with the requests.

I believe that there are two issues here. One is the basic speed of adding a row. There seems to be a lot of small memory allocations as rows are added. It would help if larger blocks of memory were allocated less frequently; perhaps that could be an option if you're concerned about reserving too much memory. The second issue is the priority of the viewer process. I think it should be as low as possible by default.

Speed aside, the usefulness of the viewer constantly surprises me and I sometimes wonder how I managed without it.

Thank you.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:11:53 PM »

it's so nice to hear that it's useful - i could actually fix this problem by limiting the speed of visual updates to the grid.
Reldas
Charter Member

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:34:47 AM »

That would be very welcome. I'm happy to test any changes if necessary.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 02:12:03 AM »

ill put it on to todo list and try to get it done this month.
Reldas
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 03:44:05 PM »

Any news on this matter?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 03:46:31 PM »

sorry i forgot but ive been updating all my apps recently so expect an update *this* month smiley
Reldas
Charter Member

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 03:55:48 PM »

Thank you. I'll look forward to it. Could you address my zero-overhead post too please.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 03:59:43 PM »

i *believe* that the same single solution will solve both problems. i suspect that its the constant refreshing of the display with each new row that is causing all the problems; by limiting visual update speed i am guessing the problem will be solved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.028s | Server load: 0.28 ]