ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > JGPaiva's GridMove and Ahk Tools

GridMove needs a new licensing scheme, please help

<< < (2/2)

nudone:
Assuming I wanted to be evil, could I develop my own GridMove style program based on the original idea I submitted and then sell it.

I've little intention to do so, it's just something that I might be tempted to do if the dollars were rolling in for commercial licenses.

Sorry, if I sound unscrupulous. I'm just being open about daydreams I've already had.

jgpaiva:
nudone, from what I understand, anyone is free to create anything just like GridMove.
What the CC license stipulates is that if you use GridMove's code, you can't make a profit from it. But you are free to modify it in whatever way you want, as long as you redistribute it the same way I distribute it.

The problem with the CC license is that it imposes no limits on the use of the software, only on the distribution. No one can make money out of GridMove's code (and binaries) distribution. However, everyone can use it freely (regardless of being a home or enterprise user).

I've already looked around a bit and couldn't find anything suitable, especially taking into account the fact that the code is free. All open-source licenses seem to be centered more on what you can and can't do with the code, and not on the use of the binaries themselves.

To be completely honest, I'm not terribly worried about this, as I think using an "informal" license as mouser does should work well, and my current CC scheme has been working as well. What I'm trying to do is getting better informed on all this license stuff.
A few weeks ago someone from an enterprise told me they couldn't use it due to the current licensing scheme (they considered CC incompatible with an enterprise environment). I even I told them I didn't care for the money (since they really only needed one user), but they needed a "formal" way of saying it, I needed to have a license stating it.

nudone:
Right, I see. Well, a little. The licensing world sounds like a nightmare; I hope you do manage to find something workable.

Of course, I'm extremely unlikely to make something like Gridmove (someone would have to do it for me too). It's just something I've always had in the back of my mind; a daydream running along the lines of if I could code myself in something like C++ (or whatever it is these days) then there are several things I'd like to make.

I'm looking forward to seeing your update with Gridmove though. After all this time, it still does things no other window-mover util can do - useful things I must add. I guess that is shown by its popularity.

Maybe you should promote it (or develop it) in a more serious way.

Renegade:
A few weeks ago someone from an enterprise told me they couldn't use it due to the current licensing scheme (they considered CC incompatible with an enterprise environment). I even I told them I didn't care for the money (since they really only needed one user), but they needed a "formal" way of saying it, I needed to have a license stating it.
-jgpaiva (March 08, 2011, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's pretty normal. I remember rewriting a part of a license for IBM because they couldn't use the software with one clause in the EULA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version