ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

XP multiuser default login

(1/3) > >>

4wd:
Hi all, I have a friend with XP Pro who wants to set up another user on his system so there's a choice when the Welcome screen pops up but also have it log in as one of the users after a suitable delay.

eg. You get to the Welcome screen with a choice of UserA or UserB but if there's no input after 30 seconds then it'll default to UserA.

Is that possible under Windows?

I know you can set a automated login but there's no way to delay it AFAIK.

Or is it possible to set a login using a specific user account via the boot.ini menu?

That way you get your delay but skip the Welcome screen.  Just had a quick look but couldn't see any relevant parameters.

Stoic Joker:
Is that possible under Windows?-4wd (March 08, 2011, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

My guess would be no. It will (most likely) run into the same roadblocks the WiFi detector project ran into.

I know you can set a automated login but there's no way to delay it AFAIK.-4wd (March 08, 2011, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing native I'm aware of either.

Or is it possible to set a login using a specific user account via the boot.ini menu?
-4wd (March 08, 2011, 07:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Outside of a 2nd OS that was set to auto-login, no.

Carol Haynes:
For normal autologin add this to your registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="User Name"
"DefaultPassword"="password"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

replacing user name and password with the actual auto login details.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231 for full details.

Don't know of any way of delaying it though.

I suppose you could write a script that you add to scheduled tasks that runs on system startup waits for so long and then logs in if no one has logged in.

f0dder:
Well, it would be possible to do, even if there's no current supported method - who's up for writing a custom GINA? :)

Stoic Joker:
Well, it would be possible to do, even if there's no current supported method - who's up for writing a custom GINA? :)
-f0dder (March 08, 2011, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I ran across something (article on TechNet) a while back (wish I could remember where) that said that MS had depricated the GINA in favor of something new in Vista & 7. This change also affected XP some time after SP2.

I do recall it being tied into the (for security) services/session 0 isolation changes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version