topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 6:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Strange behaviour: DirInfo-1.DbgLog  (Read 7936 times)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Strange behaviour: DirInfo-1.DbgLog
« on: March 01, 2006, 11:14 AM »
There I was in Firefox yesterday afternoon, filling in an online PDF for a job application, when my machine suddenly switched off.  It's prone to doing this sometimes, usually when it's particularly stressed - I have isolated the problem as being a (slightly) incompatible memory stick, and  as I pretty much know what triggers it, I have decided (so far) to save the £50 that a replacement memory stick would cost and just avoid doing those things.  So, I have system shutdown, and a few minutes later the machine comes back to life, only I can no longer get into Firefox, except in Safe Mode - every time it starts up, it immediately goes to the 'Firefox has a problem, would you like to tell us about it' dialogue.  I decide to bite the bullet and reinstall FF - to no effect: exact same behaviour.  I decide to bite harder and remove every trace of FF and reinstall - so scouring registry (with CCleaner and JV16Tools) and removing folders in C:\Documents & Folders\[etc]  Fine, now FF works again, and after a while of reassembling things, I have all the extensions I want back (and I found a really handsome new theme in the process: iPox).  Firefox works fine, and I worked happily online all morning, until I came to opening one of my Desktop folders, when Windows popped up with a truncated message box, reading (in the top bar): "DirInfo-1.DbgLog", and in the body of the message, just: "**NotP".  I tried to do a system restore to last night, but this didn't fix it; when I restored to before last night, Firefox doesn't work.  I restored all of JV16's backups, but nothing doing.  What I did inbetween: install Mouser's new Launcher Alpha and Skrommel's Taskbar Fader.  That's it as far as changes are concerned.  I searched on Google and turned up some references to "DirInfo-1.DbgLog", but all referred to software I have no knowledge of, and certainly haven't installed.  Anybody have any ideas that might help me?

Oh, something to add to this: the error message belongs to Explorer (according to Process Explorer), and when it comes up I can do nothing except kill Explorer and start it again... And then everything works fine until I try to open any folder...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:18 AM by m_s »

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Strange behaviour: DirInfo-1.DbgLog
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 11:24 AM »
Okay, still don't understand...  But removing Diskview seems to have solved the problem...  I'll reinstall and hope it works now (look out for my mini-review of disk-visualising programs in the next few weeks)...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 12:27 PM »
out for my mini-review of disk-visualising programs in the next few weeks
- cool.
(btw - none of my apps mess with the system in any way - so it's not launch bar commander.)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 01:43 PM »
Unfortunately, my pleasure in the solution was too quick - it's not fixed the problem, so this is still live.  Anybody got any ideas?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 02:42 PM »
what os?
have you installed any explorer extensions recently?

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 02:55 PM »
Win XP - and I think the only one would be Diskview.  Come to think of it, I did also install NetJaxer (http://www.netjaxer.com/) earlier in the week, and I think that works alongside/within Explorer.  I should say that uninstalling Diskview did seem to fix it, and then I decided to try reinstalling Diskview, and now I think I'm stuck with a partial installation, but I can't get to Explorer to tell what's half-installed...

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 04:08 AM »
I decided to take advantage of the Directory Opus discount last night (wow!), and so I have directories functioning again via DO, but if I right-click on the desktop, I get the same error message I reported yesterday, and have to restart Explorer...  Hmmm.  I'm pretty stuck with this one, and contemplating reinstalling Windows - something I have always resisted.  It doesn't seem anyone here knows of this problem...

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 04:50 AM »
if right-clicking on the desltop causes it, then its almost surely a windows explorer extension that is broken.
if you search this forum youll find some posts on how to disable windows shell extensions and you can try to disable them until you find the right one that is causing the problem.  this is almost surely your problem.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 05:07 AM »
I don't know what's happening to you, but it seems mouser is quite sure, you should try his solution.
In the meanwhile, you could try blackbox for windows. It's one of the best explorer replacement shells, and if you use directory opus, you won't have to deal with explorer anymore. (It won't even be loaded at the computer's startup if you install blackbox).
I've used it for a few years and it's much more stable than explorer.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 05:29 AM »
Mouser, you da Man!  Yup, searched, downloaded ShellExView, disable all - problem gone.  Oddly, reenabled all, problem still gone. 

And I will check out Blackbox, thanks jgpaiva... 

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 05:37 AM »
Oddly, reenabled all, problem still gone. 
;D ;D ;D That's why i love computers, they are so temperamental, and sometimes just decide "ok, i've already caused you enough problems, I'll stop being an ass".  I love it when they do that! :D
(Nevertheless, you should still try to find out what's causing that strange behaviour ;) )

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 05:46 AM »
Yup.  I did.  I think.  I spoke too soon (again) - Desktop worked fine, so I carried on with things...  But then when I tried to reenable some of the autostarts I had disabled to try work it all out, I had to copy a shortcut into my Startup folder, and whizzo there's the same old error message.  So went back to SheelExView and disabled all and problem was gone.  Looked more closely and saw a few Diskview context menu files, so disabled them and problem is fixed.

Now I really like Diskview, but if it's prone to this kind of behaviour...  I will now scour system of Diskview, try reinstalling, and see what happens.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 06:11 AM »
Turns out there is a DirInfo.dll in the Diskview folder...