topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:46 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Browser history as a tree/graph  (Read 8736 times)

doug-jensen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Browser history as a tree/graph
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:56 AM »
It would be extremely valuable to have a visualization of the tree or graph of links that took you from where you chose to start, to where you are now. Sort of like a mind map. The usual chronological or alphabetical linear history list is much less useful.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Browser history as a tree/graph
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 12:14 PM »
That's an interesting idea - I wonder if, say, the FireFox history database has enough information to construct that, hmm...
- carpe noctem

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Way back in the beginning of time, IBM's OS/2 Warp operating system shipped with a web browser (sorry, I can't remember its name) that would show your browsing history as an outline.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 01:33 PM »
There are tons of extensions like these but most of them are considered spyware and don't get off much traction.

The one off the top of my head is an extension that used to be Flock's top extension but I can't find it now.

Anyway, Google got me here: http://publicmind.in...prove-history-tools/

Link no longer works though.

That's an interesting idea - I wonder if, say, the FireFox history database has enough information to construct that, hmm...

I assume all major browsers do otherwise when you hold unto the back button, you won't have a drop down set of links to go back to the very beginning.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 01:41 PM »
I assume all major browsers do otherwise when you hold unto the back button, you won't have a drop down set of links to go back to the very beginning.
Unless I misunderstand what you're saying, then that feature is very easy to implement with a stack data structure, which doesn't offer the wanted tree view.
- carpe noctem

Brian De Braganza

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:16 PM »
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but Firefox already has an add-on called History Tree available. It is 'not compatible' with the latest versions of Firefox but can, of course, be 'made compatible' if you have the Mr Tech add-on installed, by right-clicking on it once installed and choosing "make compatible". You might need to override version checking to install it.

Read about it at MyDigitalLife:
http://www.mydigital...ee-free-application/

or here
http://www.maximumpc...on_week_history_tree

and install from here (or save to disk):
http://www.softpedia...Download-135948.html

Brian De B

Brian De B

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:26 PM »
Unless I misunderstand what you're saying, then that feature is very easy to implement with a stack data structure, which doesn't offer the wanted tree view.

Oh then I must be mistaken. From an ignorant's perspective. the tree view seems to be the easiest to implement. After all it's just sorting.

Take Opera's history for example. View by Site without the Date, isn't this what the TS is pretty much looking for except it's not limited to links organized by home urls?