topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: DONE: abbreviations importer  (Read 80075 times)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DONE: abbreviations importer
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2006, 05:53 AM »
I didn't time it, but I'd say 2 minutes, maybe.
2 minutes? That's way too much... I'm sure there's some tools for that that would work faster.
But still, it's good to know it worked! ;)
I don't know if you've read the code, but it's very simple, and the problem there is that the algorithm makes the file be read from the beggining to the end lots of times, and that takes too much time.
There are better ways to do it, but they would be too complex for the real use this tool has.

Harrie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Productivity Talk
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2006, 07:34 AM »
Two minutes may be way too long in a programmer's opinion, jgpaiva, but to be able to do that to port to AHK is nothing but heaven for us.  The alternative is, entering them all in manually (yeah, right).........or doing a large-scale find and replace operation, which, in the format the hotstrings come out in the latest version, well, I'm not sure it could be done, or how.  So I have no reason to angst over two minutes.

rjbull, I read your post with great interest, and I'll definitely make a separate post about Instant Text, and ask you some questions I have.  Usually, I find non-MTs have no interest in this, not really, so I'm happily surprised!  Thanks a lot for sharing.

Edit:  Wow, it works off a USB stick just fine, and it works in WPDOS.51 off that stick! 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 08:00 AM by Harrie »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2006, 04:26 AM »
I'll definitely make a separate post about Instant Text, and ask you some questions I have.  Usually, I find non-MTs have no interest in this, not really, so I'm happily surprised!

Harrie,

I have to abstract lots of journals, hence I find this kind of tool useful.  Apart from PC-Write's built-in feature, the only one I've tried myself is AHK, apart from a very quick dabble with PowerPro.  That is an impenetrable program, except that text snippets are the easiest part of it.  They're attached to buttons rather than hotstrings (I daresay you can have those too, but I never got that far).

I hadn't realised the quality of Instant Text when I first posted.  I see it costs $189, and if price is anything to go by, it should be good!  The ColorPilot one is only about $25 (from memory).  The author of the KeyNote organizer/outliner recommends IntelliComplete, which is about $50.  IntelliComplete is here http://flashpeak.com/icomp/

In his smallwares list, MarkTAW  http://www.marktaw.c...voriteSmallware.html
says he uses PC Magazine's RoboType for standardized text like signatures and bits of code.  You have to pay an low-cost annual subscription to access PC Magazine utilities, but subsequent use is free (i.e., I think, subscribe for a year, grab what you want, and use if forever without further payment).

Of course, the good thing about AHK is that's it's completely free (with donation possible) and hotstring files are simple plain text, which makes them very easy to share, though AHK hotstrings on their own don't have a point-and-shoot interface.  Also they won't work on Win9x, if anyone but me is still a dinosaur   8)

<later>  as well as the ColorPilot ones mentioned in an earlier post, here's another
SuperKeys  $10 *donationware*  :)

« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 08:33 AM by rjbull »

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2006, 10:57 PM »
great script!! thumbs up.

can you pls support unicode? i try to add this:

001=《瑜伽师地论》

it wont work in firefox and notepad, it only works in Ultraedit.

in firefox:
http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/9404/gadwinscreenshot0048nm.png
DONE: abbreviations importer

in ultraedit:
http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/1673/gadwinscreenshot0059le.png

thank you.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 11:04 PM by kimmchii »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 05:23 AM »
Good to know there are others interested in this coding snack too!
I've been testing and updating HotString Script Creator with Harrie, so it's prety much complete now.

ChangeLog:
- added "about/donate" button and dialog.
- search for repeated entries is now integrated in the main script
- there is a progress bar when looking for repeated entries (to avoid comeone thinking that the computer might have crashed ;) )
- trigger function is fixed (it works now, but Harrie reported a bug i still couldn't fix)
- added "esc" key functionality in the main screen
- lowered the keysending time, now hotsrings are replaced faster
- added traytip with "file creation ended" because sometimes it takes time to create the file, and that could be the origin for some problems
- added function that when you write an abbreviation in CAPS, the replacement is in CAPS

When you can test it, i'd be very thankful if you could post your comments here!
(post above updated with new version)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 07:03 AM by jgpaiva »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 05:51 AM »
can you pls support unicode?
Hi kimmchii!
I've already looked into it, but the script becomes much slower when I add unicode tranformation.
I've attached to this post a hotstring script. Please edit this script's folowing lines:

Function("African-American female","aaf")
there, place your abbreviation instead of b]aaf[/b], and replacement instead of [African-American female.

:*B0:aaf::
there, replace aaf by the abbreviation.

Then, try the script, and see if it works properlly, please.
(the hotstrings are triggered by ';')

Disclaimer: this in not the hotstring script creator, only one test for kimmchii to try the unicode support.

Harrie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Productivity Talk
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2006, 08:02 AM »
ChangeLog:
- added "about/donate" button and dialog.
- search for repeated entries is now integrated in the main script
- there is a progress bar when looking for repeated entries (to avoid comeone thinking that the computer might have crashed ;) )
- trigger function is fixed (it works now, but Harrie reported a bug i still couldn't fix)
- added "esc" key functionality in the main screen
- lowered the keysending time, now hotsrings are replaced faster
- added traytip with "file creation ended" because sometimes it takes time to create the file, and that could be the origin for some problems
- added function that when you write an abbreviation in CAPS, the replacement is in CAPS

When you can test it, i'd be very thankful if you could post your comments here!
(post above updated with new version)

My comments are that the caps feature seems to be working fantastically well.  That is such a must and it's great to have it in there.  And I'm slapping myself all over the place for not mentioning it in the first place. 

The tooltip letting you know to wait while the file is being created, and the tooltip letting you know it's done, are also a big improvement, I think.  Just in case someone doesn't realize that something is happening in the background, though they can't see it. 

Also, the speed default is much better now.  That will be sure to be everyone's favorite improvement.  Hehe.

Who wouldn't love that repeated entries is now incorporated in the main script?

The only bug I am finding now is that certain words seem to want to expand with an extra character, or otherwise don't come out correctly.  And it's only certain ones.  As I said in an email, this is certainly not unheard of even in commercial, professional expanders.  It's something that sometimes happens.  Sometimes the culprit is that a person has Word AutoCorrect on and perhaps has the same short form in there.  Also, simply Word itself has been called the culprit.  But I'm getting this in other apps, too, like my email app.  I think it has to do with the timing settings (just because of experience with other expanders). 

With all of the other features you have added, if we can squash that one, it will be great!  You've turned an idea into something very real.  I can't tell you how much I love it!  I've already offered the first version on my site and, when done, will definitely post again with the updated version. 

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2006, 08:23 AM »
I can't tell you how much I love it!  I've already offered the first version on my site and, when done, will definitely post again with the updated version. 
Why don't you just link to this page, so people could join the discussion? That way they might also stumble upon other great DC apps!

Harrie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Productivity Talk
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2006, 08:28 AM »
Harrie,

I have to abstract lots of journals, hence I find this kind of tool useful.  Apart from PC-Write's built-in feature, the only one I've tried myself is AHK, apart from a very quick dabble with PowerPro.  That is an impenetrable program, except that text snippets are the easiest part of it.  They're attached to buttons rather than hotstrings (I daresay you can have those too, but I never got that far).

You're getting me interested in all sorts of things now!  Speaking of PowerPro, I believe I had tried that.  It's a program I didn't give enough time to.  I found it difficult.  But sometimes when programs are a bit challenging for me, with lots of features to learn, I give up too soon when I know that if I'd only give it a little more time.......Anyway, buttons sound good so long as you definitely could have them in hotstrings for folks who never want to go the clickie route, LOL.  

Abstracting journals - that sounds very interesting.  I don't feel I really know what it involves, but for some reason, it brings to mind a program I just recently learned about, from a member of my board, a translator.  This program is cool!  It's called TextSTAT and it's free.  Here's a link  It can sort words by frequency for you.  What I went crazy over was, if you double click on a word, all the phrases that it's in (in your documents) come up.  Wow!  For MTs, that can be a heavenly gift, to let you add your most frequently used phrases in your expander.  Runs on Mac and Linux, too.  Probably has nothing to do with what you do, but........maybe.

I hadn't realised the quality of Instant Text when I first posted.  I see it costs $189, and if price is anything to go by, it should be good!  The ColorPilot one is only about $25 (from memory).  The author of the KeyNote organizer/outliner recommends IntelliComplete, which is about $50.  IntelliComplete is here http://flashpeak.com/icomp/

Instant Text is high quality.  I did post my review, and in that thread, IntelliComplete came up there, too.  Thanks for the info.  Gotta check out ColorPilot.  Another good expander is Shorthand for Windows.  It's excellent and does have a downloadable demo.  But, there can be no changing for me.  That's how incredible I feel Instant Text is.

In his smallwares list, MarkTAW  http://www.marktaw.c...voriteSmallware.html
says he uses PC Magazine's RoboType for standardized text like signatures and bits of code.  You have to pay an low-cost annual subscription to access PC Magazine utilities, but subsequent use is free (i.e., I think, subscribe for a year, grab what you want, and use if forever without further payment).

I've read about RoboType for years!  I think it is very, very popular!

Of course, the good thing about AHK is that's it's completely free (with donation possible) and hotstring files are simple plain text, which makes them very easy to share, though AHK hotstrings on their own don't have a point-and-shoot interface.  Also they won't work on Win9x, if anyone but me is still a dinosaur   8)

AHK is awesome!  And to be able to make executables, too, for people who don't have it and maybe only want one or two certain scripts!  Yes, easy to share, plain text, working in any application, working off a USB stick, I'm with you, it's great.  The one thing I will disagree with is that I've seen reviews that say it is "easy."  To me, it isn't easy to learn to program in AHK.  Not that it should be, you understand.  I'm just saying, if you don't know anything about programming languages, a review should not claim that it's simple.  

Maybe one day I'll talk about ActiveWords!  I love that program to death.  Doesn't have the power of AHK, but it has a whole lot of power nevertheless.  And although it does text substitution, I don't use it for that.  Rather, for automating all sorts of other things.  

Dinosaurs interest me!  Some older apps remain the greatest.  Oh, this reminds me about a freeware site, I think it's called Pricelessware, and I think it offers up a lot of older programs, unless I'm mistaking it for another site.

Hi, Brother.  Sure will!  I have a habit of wanting to wait until everything is squared away and then tuck it all into a neat little package with everything together and all instructions, etc. straightened out.  Did post about DC in a general post, too.  Love this place!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 08:31 AM by Harrie »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2006, 08:58 AM »
AHK is awesome!  And to be able to make executables, too, for people who don't have it and maybe only want one or two certain scripts!  Yes, easy to share, plain text, working in any application, working off a USB stick, I'm with you, it's great.  The one thing I will disagree with is that I've seen reviews that say it is "easy."  To me, it isn't easy to learn to program in AHK.  Not that it should be, you understand.  I'm just saying, if you don't know anything about programming languages, a review should not claim that it's simple.  
Well, it's not easy if the only thing you program is the remote control for your TV ;)

But honestly, AHK allows you to start very small (think hotstrings), and then to learn from example. When you run into problems that the nice info on http://www.autohotkey.com/ can't help you with you just ask others, for example in the AHK forums. Doing this, you'll increase your knowledge over time.

So yes, I would call AHK easy - the same way it's easy to drive a Porsche across the kindergarten parking lot. It just requires more practice and training to speed that same Porsche over the Nürburgring at 150 mph successfully.
:)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2006, 09:17 AM »
You're getting me interested in all sorts of things now!  Speaking of PowerPro, I believe I had tried that.  It's a program I didn't give enough time to.  I found it difficult.

Harrie,

It's not just you.  PowerPro is amazingly powerful, but so hard that it seems like nearly everybody gives up on it.

Abstracting journals - that sounds very interesting.

Depends on the journal  ;)

It's called TextSTAT and it's free.

Downloaded, yet to be tried.  Thanks!

Gotta check out ColorPilot.  Another good expander is Shorthand for Windows.

You personally need the best and can justify the cost of Instant Text, and I doubt you'd now find anything "less" appealing.  However, it would be nice to find the "best at an affordable price" for the rest of us.

AHK:
I've seen reviews that say it is "easy."  To me, it isn't easy to learn to program in AHK.

I think that's true of all the macro programs I've seen, with the possible exception of one-purpose wonders like the free version of Press That Freakin' Button (PTFB).  Even programs like Macro Express that watch and save your keystrokes and mouse movements, and let you edit them afterwards, are still far from trivial.

Maybe one day I'll talk about ActiveWords!

I'll look forward to the review  :)

freeware site, I think it's called Pricelessware, and I think it offers up a lot of older programs, unless I'm mistaking it for another site.

That's the place where the usenet group alt.comp.freeware post details of their favourite freeware applications.  From memory, they mention AHK, PTFB. and AllChars in this category.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2006, 07:11 PM »
hi jgpaiva,
thank you very much for the unicode version.

i have tried it and it still doesnt work. :(

i notice that the tooltip can display the chinese character, but when i press the trigger ";" , it inserts gibberish codes.

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/6307/clipboard01tt5wf.jpg

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/262/gadwinscreenshot0038ed.png
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2006, 07:47 PM »
kimmchii: It seems that ahk doesn't support to send unicode strings.
But it does suport copying unicode characters to the clipboard, for  further pasting.
So, I've adapted the script again, and it's attached to this post.
Please try it and send my your feedback.
It only works in apps that the "paste" command is ctrl+V.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2006, 08:22 PM »
wow, you rock.  :Thmbsup:

ctrl+V works.

there is one problem, the abbreviation is not being replaced.

for example, if i type abdol then ctrl+V,

i will get abdolabdominal

thanks again.

~Robert Anthony

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2006, 03:11 AM »
I don't know why that's happening, but it might be related to the way it erases the other characters (by sending the backspace key).
I've changed the way it does that, and let's see if it erases the rest of the words.

.ahk file: http://jgpaiva.dcmem...ingScriptCreator.ahk
.exe file: http://jgpaiva.dcmem...ingScriptCreator.exe
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:13 PM by jgpaiva »

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2006, 03:23 AM »
jgpaiva,
no that doesnt work, but it's ok, i will use Ultraedit as my word processor, unicode works well in Ultraedit.

thanks very much again.
~Robert Anthony

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2006, 07:49 PM »
I've been doing some tweaking with this script, and it now fully works :)
It also has a new function: it'll create CAPS sensitive hotstrings.
This means that if you have the following line in your in file:
carm=caramel
there will be created 3 hotstings for this entry:
  • carm, which will be replaced by caramel
  • Carm, which will be replaced by Caramel
  • CARM, which will be replaced by CARAMEL
I have also tweaked the inner workings of the script, and now it doesn't have any bugs (at least, not that i can find ;) ).

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:14 PM by jgpaiva »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2006, 08:07 PM »
Don't know how I didn't see this thread before - but this looks really cool !! I'll try it out properly tomorrow.

Harrie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Productivity Talk
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2006, 07:54 AM »
Carol, I'll eagerly await your opinion!

Wow, all forms of caps/no caps working.  I appreciate so much all your work on this, jgpaiva.  I really do.  Each improvement has been one more step to a really cool program.  I can't wait to get off work this evening and try it out.  You are simply....

Spoiler
AWESOME!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2006, 09:38 AM »
Seems to work really nicely. You can even enter other keyboard keys like ENTER (just add {enter}) etc. (For details of all the keys you can use see the AHK help file for the SEND command).

The only 'bug' I have found using it is when you use the GUI element to create the script you have to enter a trigger everytime whereas all the other fields are remembered from the .INI file. Not sure how you can fix that though. If you don't enter a trigger the script generated has quite a bit missing.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2006, 04:50 PM »
Seems to work really nicely. You can even enter other keyboard keys like ENTER (just add {enter}) etc. (For details of all the keys you can use see the AHK help file for the SEND command).
-Carol Haynes (April 09, 2006, 09:38 AM)
Glad you like it!

The only 'bug' I have found using it is when you use the GUI element to create the script you have to enter a trigger everytime whereas all the other fields are remembered from the .INI file.
You are using a "space" trigger (i.e. a literal space, or a tab), right?
Those triggers aren't saved, but all others are supposed to be saved.

If you don't enter a trigger the script generated has quite a bit missing.
I forgot to fix that last time around. But it's fixed now, without any trigger, the generated script is similar to the other ones.
I've uploaded a new version that has that issue fixed.

Wow, all forms of caps/no caps working.  I appreciate so much all your work on this, jgpaiva.  I really do.  Each improvement has been one more step to a really cool program.  I can't wait to get off work this evening and try it out.  You are simply....

Spoiler
AWESOME!

:-[ :-[ Thanks.. But your patience testing all those errors was really very important!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:14 PM by jgpaiva »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2006, 06:39 PM »
Thanks - I'll check out the new version.

Can I suggest you add links to your downloads in your signature so they are quick to find (I know you quoted it here but it would save looking for links). Also how about adding a version number as a comment.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2006, 10:25 PM »
i've been trying to get jgpaiva to set up a little page of his growing list of apps :)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2006, 03:16 AM »
Thanks - I'll check out the new version.

Can I suggest you add links to your downloads in your signature so they are quick to find (I know you quoted it here but it would save looking for links). Also how about adding a version number as a comment.
-Carol Haynes (April 09, 2006, 06:39 PM)
:) As mouser said, i need a page. I have too much scripts to fit in my sign ;)
I think next week or so, i'll have time to do it.

You didn't get to say, are you or are you not using a space trigger?
As for the version, yes, it does make sense and i'll add it in the upcoming versions.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2006, 03:36 AM »
Yes I am using the space trigger