topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 11:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Clipboard Help+Spell v1.45 Discussion and notes for Ugraders  (Read 20028 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I thought we might benefit from a thread specifically for discussing the new features and changes in v1.45.

And for upgraders:

One important new feature is the ability to set custom ordering in your quick popup menus (favorites, etc.) by setting the "Ordering" fields of clips.

But if you are upgrading from a version of CHS prior to v1.45, your favorite and other groups will not have this enabled. To fix, right click on the group (Favorites for example) and edit the group, and change the "Custom Menu Sorting SQL" to: Ordering,CreationDateTime

Screenshot - 3_6_2011 , 11_07_55 AM.png
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:08 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Upgraders to v1.45 -- some changes you should make
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:19 AM »
Or if you have NO important data in your clip database that you care about, you can simply exit CHS, delete the contents of the CHS database directory, and restart to begin with a brand new default database.

Upgraders may also need to click to customize which fields show in the grid in order to turn on the Notes field if you want to see the urls associated with clips captured from browser windows, and the Ordering field to expose the field for Ordering values.

Screenshot - 3_6_2011 , 11_15_51 AM.pngClipboard Help+Spell v1.45 Discussion and notes for Ugraders
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:41 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Clipboard Help+Spell v1.45 Discussion and notes for Ugraders
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 11:22 AM »
I'm curious to hear what people think of the new stack (actually FIFO queue) features and dupe handling and web url grabbing and quick paste clip submenu (shift click).
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:26 AM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 12:41 PM »
So a couple of new features worth looking into:

In the quick paste popup, if you hold shift while selecting an item, you will now see a secondary menu for that clip:
Screenshot - 3_6_2011 , 12_39_49 PM.png

That should make it easier to do commonn things with clips other than the most recent clip, which previously required bringing up the main window.

Stay tuned for some screencast videos showing how to get the most out of CHS.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 12:46 PM »
Another thing to play with is using the stack with the Paste Using Tabs option.

So, you would copy a series of items that need to be entered into tab-separated fields on a web page or dialog, and then bring up quick popup menu, choose Stack operations, and choose to paste entire stack using Tabs:
Screenshot - 3_6_2011 , 12_45_15 PM.png

That image shows that the stack start marker is currently at the "1111" clip; pasting entire stack will simulate:  1111 TAB 2222 TAB 3333 TAB 4444

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 12:50 PM »
Im curious to hear how people like the stack (fifo queue) system; i expect it may take a little getting used to.  But one noteable feature of it is that it is non-destructive, and the stack start position can be set before or *after* clips have been copied.  That is, it tracks the position of the pointer in the clip history, so you can set this position any time you want, and popping off one item just advances the position without altering clips -- so you can reset the stack position any time you want.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 01:15 PM »
Will try it and post back, thanks for this mouser

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 01:22 PM »
Regarding Order, I know it's not nearly as intuitive as a drag and drop system would be -- but drag+drop is not trivial in a database system where clips may be moving around on their own.

So the way ordering works is that every clip has an "Ordering" field.  By default clips are "unordered", with a blank Ordering value equivelent to Ordering = 0.

When a pop-up menu is displayed, clips are sorted by default (see above for upgraders to change their group Ordering sql), with highest Ordering values at top.

So if you want to move a clip higher up, use a higher Ordering value for that clip; want to move it lower, use a lower Ordering value.  These are floating point values so you can use fractional values.  Use negative numbers to put clips below un-ordered clips, positive numbers to put them above.

In practice the only time you will probably ever care about this or have to pay attention to it is in your Favorites group; where you can just set the Ordering values to order the clips as you want.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 04:09 PM »
In the quick paste popup, if you hold shift while selecting an item, you will now see a secondary menu for that clip:

I don't see the secondary menu here.
I left click CH+S icon, at the foot of the pop-up menu I see the note about shift-clicking. I select an item, hold shift and click that item, no menu, just pasting the item.
Is there something in the options that I might have turned on/off that might defeat the menu?

Thx

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 04:17 PM »
ah you just made me realize i only set it up for use with the QUICK PASTE popup menu (triggered by configurable hotkey in options); only crazy people use the system tray menu.  however i will add it to that too now.

to be honest i don't even remember how you use the tray icon menu to select clips to paste, since the previous window loses focus when you access it -- are people using the tray menu to select clips? should i make it behave differently than it does when you use it now?  just testing the normal tray clip menu, i see it tries to put focus back in the last active window or detect when you do and then do a paste.  maybe i should simplify and just have it copy the selected clip to the clipboard instantly, for you to handle as you see fit?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:37 PM by mouser »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 08:19 PM »
only set it up for use with the QUICK PASTE popup menu (triggered by configurable hotkey in options); only crazy people use the system tray menu.

Exactly!

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Thanks for this mouser.
Will do a backup, install the ß, try it out and report back.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 08:52 PM »
The Crtl+Alt+Q default for the popup works well and is useful. Really liking the stuff like ordering and the new menu. Probably not going to use stacks much but it is useful in my opinion.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 12:18 AM »
New beta update posted that fixes tray menu shift+click submenu.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 08:27 AM »
New beta update posted that fixes tray menu shift+click submenu.

or not  :)

1.45.02: I don't see the secondary menu here.
I left click CH+S icon, at the foot of the pop-up menu I see the note about shift-clicking. I select an item, hold shift and click that item, no menu, just pasting the item.  :o

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2011, 08:52 AM »
i see the problem -- happens with tray clips that are in their own submenus instead of on root menu. working on it now.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2011, 09:10 AM »
 :Thmbsup:

tray clips that are in their own submenus instead of on root menu. working on it now.

Even more crazy...  :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2011, 09:20 AM »
can you try the new upload?

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 09:15 PM »
can you try the new upload?

Didn't notice this at first.
Appreciate the enhancements.
(What I think is) the latest download pops up the extra menu on shift-click in sub-groups.
I like the stack.
Watched the video, if I weren't confused before I am now — just kidding, thanks for taking the time!

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 11:32 AM »
Just spotted this: the new version defaults to ctrl-alt-V for stack pop, even if that was already in use for another function.

-- bests, Tim

...this space unintentionally left blank.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 11:23 AM »
A few more observations...

Ordering: doesn't seem to matter how I order clips in the main window, I can't change the order they display in the popup.

Another sort of ordering issue: I've just run through a process that's consisted of copying an id number to the clipboard from an editor, pasting it into an app to look up information relating to it, then pasting back some static info, also from the clip list, once I've confirmed it applies.

If I was doing this in ArsClip, I'd have a list of id numbers going down the list, most recent at the top, with the bit of static text either in position 1 or position 2, depending on whether I'd just pasted it again or copied a new id to the list. CHS allows that bit of static text to gradually move down the list: it's now in position B.

It's not appropriate to make it a favourite, because now I've finished what I was doing, I'll never need it again. Is there any way (or could there be a way) have clips in the New list float to the top of the list so anything that's being repeatedly used stays near the top of the list instead of gradually moving downwards?

I've just discovered that Alt-F, Alt-E etc to open various menus in the main window don't seem to function.

The capture sound is turned off, but plays when I paste from the list and I can't work out where or how to make it stop.

Finally -- but this might be down to Jarte -- pasting a clip with an appended \n into Jarte loses the <cr> regardless. (Ctrl-C to select the original with the <cr> then Ctrl-V to paste it straight out of the clipboard works as expected. However, Notepad++ doesn't experience the same issue, so it's probably just a Jarte thing...?
-- bests, Tim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2011, 11:38 AM »
Ordering: doesn't seem to matter how I order clips in the main window, I can't change the order they display in the popup.
Set some values for Ordering field on some clips (anything > 0 will bring a clip higher to top then clips with no Ordering value), and then most importantly, make sure you edit the QuickPaste group as shown on the very first post in this thread.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2011, 12:51 PM »
Set some values for Ordering field on some clips (anything > 0 will bring a clip higher to top then clips with no Ordering value), and then most importantly, make sure you edit the QuickPaste group as shown on the very first post in this thread.

Ah. Oops.  :-[
-- bests, Tim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2011, 01:00 PM »
New users won't have that problem -- i apologize for not doing a smoother path for upgraders.. Perhaps in a month or so after i get everything else added that i want to i can put in some code to make the upgrade changes automatic.

oblivion

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2011, 05:32 AM »
Thanks for the new version, and the newly silent operation!

There are some oddities with hotkeys that I can't pin down, though.

I have ctrl-alt-Z set as the "main window" hotkey. Sometimes it works; sometimes, it shows a popup instead.

I find it difficult to keep track of what hotkeys I'm using for what. Is there any way you could put all the defined hotkeys on one screen -- even if you don't allow modifications?

One specific point: there are two, apparently unsynchronised, places where a hotkey for the Quick Paste group can be set. (In options/hotkeys and the QP group Edit mode.) They seem to do different things, though, and if I set different hotkeys in both places, I get two different results...

Also, while experimenting (to see what, if anything would happen if I set duplicate hotkeys) I set a hotkey for the spelling check, cleared it then set the same hotkey for the CHS main window. As I type this, the hotkey's still doing the spelling check...

...but after exiting and restarting CHS, it's sorted itself out.

This configuration is portable and running under XP.

-- bests, Tim