ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

which is the best free virtualization software?

<< < (6/7) > >>

steeladept:
I said it was a fast moving target  :P

Somehow I missed the release of Player 3.0 & 3.1.  Last I heard it was still on 2.5.  Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out now and compare it to my other favorites in the Type 2 (I think) hypervisor space - Workstation and VirtualBox.

EDIT:  I just noted it is essentially Workstation without a few of the major nice features - namely cloning and snapshots.  Actually there are a few other features, some which I actually use a lot at work, that are missing as well, but I don't consider them much more than nice features.  Cloning and Snapshots are now supported in VirtualBox (have been for a little while now) and is what made it comparable to Workstation in my opinion.  Like I said, the rest of the difference is just niceties.

Player is now useable for me.  Though I will likely stick with VirtualBox due to the snapshots feature.

Shades:
@Steeladept:
VMWare player v3.x does create VM's...at least I was able to create 8 of them for a test I wanted to do.

Actually if you have the installation discs or iso's of those discs it is actually a breeze creating a new VM with VMWare Player. It recognizes the Windows version you want to install and adjusts some VMWare settings accordingly. Those settings are a very good starting point, making it really, really easy.

To be honest, I was busy creating VM's in VMWare Server and that gave me a lot of problems, especially with Windows 7 VM's. After spending/losing 3 days, I noticed the option to create VM's in VMWare Player and what took me three days to complete, was now done in 4 hours.

steeladept:
techiedave beat you to it  ;)

As I said above, it seems to me to be pretty much VMware Workstation without snapshots and a few other features most people will never use.  Shame it is missing snapshots/clones though.  I LOVE that feature and it is the main reason I will stick with VirtualBox for now.  VirtualBox doesn't support snapshots/clones as elegantly as Workstation (IMO), but it does work.

Ath:
Shame it is missing snapshots/clones though.  I LOVE that feature ...
-steeladept (March 26, 2011, 05:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's about the only reason they are still providing the commercial Workstation edition, IMHO :)

widgewunner:
@steeladept: Thanks for the excellent review!

I tried VirtualBox with Win98 but it keeps crashing on me. I seem to remember somewhere hearing that VMware handles the old windows versions better. Yes? No?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version