ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Drag&Drop to move File/Folder, but leave a Shortcut

(1/2) > >>

AndyM:
In Windows (XP) when you drag and drop using the Right mouse button, you are offered a choice to either Copy, Move, or Create a Shortcut.

What I'd like to see is a fourth choice:  Move, but leave a Shortcut in the original location (exact location if the original location is the Desktop).

This is probably difficult since this menu is part of Windows and I've never seen it modified.

Ath:
That 'task' is accomplished using a left-mouse drag, holding down the control key on your keyboard... (My Windows calls it 'copy', adding a small + to the icon during the drag action).

AndyM:
No, that makes a copy in the new location, and holding Shift will force a move and holding Alt will make a shorcut in the new location.  Same as the menu choices you get when you right-click drag the file or folder.

What I want is to move the file/folder, but replace it in the original location with a shortcut to it's new location.  I'd prefer to do it with the Right-Click-drag menu, but practically speaking it will probably be easier to implement by having a key (not Shift,Control,or Alt) held down while dragging the file/folder.

Can Autohotkey recognize a "key-modified" drag and drop?

tomos:
so you want to move the files; then create a shortcut in their original location, shortcut pointing to their new location

[edit] I see you answered that already :-[ [/edit]

This possibly no help to you, but have you seen what 4wd is doing here Windows Shortcut transformation
(replacing shortcuts with destination files - which is the opposite of what you're looking for I guess)

AndyM:
Yes, that's the opposite.  Plus I'm looking to avoid another interface/dialog box, which would defeat the purpose - to quickly drag and drop between folders, mostly between the desktop and another folder.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version