ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Upgrading Windows: From DOS 5.0 to Windows 7

<< < (2/2)

Deozaan:
Wow. I always wondered what Windows 1 & 2 looked like. I remember we had pre-Windows machines like a TI-98 and some monochrome systems I don't know the names of, but the first version of Windows my family ever used was Windows 3.1(1).

Stoic Joker:
Wow. I always wondered what Window 1 & 2 looked like. I remember we had pre-Windows machines like a TI-98 and some monochrome systems I don't know the names of, but the first version of Windows my family ever used was Windows 3.1(1).-Deozaan (March 07, 2011, 12:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

There was a multi-boot CD image floating around the internet awhile back that let you pick Windows 1, 2, or 3 to boot up and play with.

40hz:
Pretty impressive (Can your linux do this?)
-Josh (March 03, 2011, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Pretty much. And at zero cost to the person doing the upgrades. What are we looking at here? Something like $500-$600 to go from DOS 5 to Win7? (Assuming, of course, you weren't bootlegging your copy of everything up to pre-WGA Windows 2000?   ;) ;D)

FWIW you can update approximately 95% of what's on virtually any Linux installation without needing to reboot. The remaining 5% (mostly kernal updates) may soon not require a reboot either thanks to ksplice and a few other projects that are looking to remove that too.

It's also worth noting that Linux, in general, is starting to move away from the notion of versions, opting for a rolling release model.

Microsoft is too. But they're thinking more along the lines of cloud-based services and applications which will be sold by annual subscription.

If all goes according to plan, it will eventually turn the PC into a smart terminal with subscribed access to a remote application and data server. (Kinda hauls us right back to 1960 (with IBM/Honeywell/Sperry Rand) except now we have the web - doesn't it?  ;D)

Either way, that video was very cool. Brings back some fond memories (Win2K Pro :up:) and some painful ones (ME - whatever where they thinking?). Glad I didn't have to see that headache again. I still get nightmares. Surprised he didn't do WFWG however, since that was the Win3 most "smart money" went with.

ANyway...Great find! Thx for sharing it. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version