ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

O&O Migration Kit for Windows 7

<< < (2/4) > >>

nosh:
What review is there to wait for? Go get the offer!
--- End quote ---

I've got it alright, got two keys inadvertently cuz Gmail marked the copy that was sent there as spam. But like Carol, I don't know when I'll use it.

IainB:
At first, I thought about getting the LapLink migration tool, but then I realised that you don't actually need a third party migration kit, because Windows7 already includes one to help you migrate from (in my case) XP to Win7. It worked just fine and was free (bundled with the OS).

Carol Haynes:
Am I correct in reading the O&O site to say that it will migrate applications as well as data - in which case the Windows Transfer Wizard doesn't do that.

The other thing is that the serial number is supplied in a German email with links to other tools (essentially a WindowsPE recovery CD set up) but the tools are all in German. Has anyone downloaded and tried to use these? Do they include English and do they expect German versions of Windows or are they for all languages?

Curt:
-I couldn't find any English version of O&O BuildPE. The available file is all in German, but the 50 pages "Migrationsguide Win XP to Win 7" (including a manual for O&O's version of Windows BuildPE).PDF is in English. Maybe O&O BuildPE is brand new, it is version 1.0.354.

Overview

Whether you're installing Windows 7 on your old computer, or are planning to buy a new one that already comes with Windows 7, you’ll quickly notice that something very important is missing: your personal data, settings, and programs that were available on your computer’s former operating system. You could, of course, transfer each of them one by one, and then reinstall them in a tedious process. No? Then take the easier route: Migration Kit for Windows 7.

Windows 7 only supports In-Place migrations from identical editions (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home). Both must be in the same language and both either 32 or 64-Bit. Migration between different editions is not supported (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional). The Migration Kit, however, supports a whole range of migration scenarios.

With just a few clicks, you’ll be able to transfer all your data and programs onto a new operating system or computer. This is not only easier and less time-consuming, it's also much more secure because as part of the Migration Kit for Windows 7, you’ll also be getting the multiple award-winning O&O DiskImage 4 Professional Edition. O&O DiskImage will create a complete image of your system prior to migration, so that your familiar IT environment will be available to you whenever you need it.
--- End quote ---

* Windows 7 only supports In-Place migrations from identical editions (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home). Both must be in the same language and both either 32 or 64-Bit. Migration between different editions is not supported (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional). The Migration Kit, however, supports a whole range of migration scenarios.
--- End quote ---

iconic icon:

About O&O BuildPE

Information and frequent questions about O&O BuildPE>>

O&O BuildPE is a Wizard that will help you create the boot media (CD, DVD or USB stick) for your O&O programs. For example, you will need the boot media if you want to run your O&O program without prior installation. This might be necessary whenever Windows is not booting up due to errors caused by defective software. To get your Windows back on track, you can run O&O DiskImage from the boot media, and restore the system partition to its original condition – this of course is only possible, if you have previously created an image.

Data recovery using the O&O RescueBox is also suited to boot media, since the installation of a data recovery product might overwrite key areas of the hard disk, making a later data recovery impossible.

Your system partition can only be changed if you use the O&O Partition Manager with the help of the boot medium. Often, new computers come with only one partition, and system files as well as private data are stored on it. A division into a system and a data drive makes the creation of images as well as the recovery of your data in the case of a disaster much easier.

Your boot medium also includes various O&O system rescue programs that allow you to access the Windows registry or stored files, even if Windows is corrupted or does not boot anymore.

Follow the steps in the Wizard to create the boot medium.

Please read the following tips:

* To download the required Windows AIK (Automated Installation Kit) you will need approximately 1.7 GB of free disk space. The download may take up to a few hours depending on transmission rate. We recommend using a download manager.
    * Be prepared with either a CD, DVD or USB stick when creating the boot media. No data can be stored on the removable medium, it must be completely empty.
    * Your computer should have at least over 1 GB RAM memory available in order to run your boot media as intended.
    * One of the following Windows operating systems must be installed on your computer: Windows 7, Server 2008 R2 or Vista (all Editions, 32 and 64 Bit)

--- End quote ---

IainB:
@Carol Haynes:
"Am I correct in reading the O&O site to say that it will migrate applications as well as data - in which case the Windows Transfer Wizard doesn't do that."

--- End quote ---
That's odd, I used the Windows Transfer Wizard to transfer all the applications and their relevant data holas bolas. It worked very well for me. Maybe I used it the "wrong way"?

I did not know the WTW existed and only stumbled upon it by accident just as I was debating with myself whether to buy the O&O migration tool or the Laplink migration tool. WTW saved me some money and did a great job. I don't usually sing Micro$oft's praises, but I'd like to give credit where credit is due. (I've been very impressed with pretty much all of Windows7 so far.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version