topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: O&O Migration Kit for Windows 7  (Read 13804 times)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
O&O Migration Kit for Windows 7
« on: March 04, 2011, 01:48 AM »
http://www.instantfu...-upgrade-with-o.html

If someone tries this, please post your results.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: O&O Migration Kit for Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 03:34 AM »
Your post surprised me. It is not often a gem comes in such a discrete wrapping...: The offer is to have both OO DiskImage Pro and Laplink PCMover Pro FOR FREE! What review is there to wait for? Go get the offer!

:up:

Thanks for telling!   ;)

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 04:42 AM »
Just ordered my free serial, thanks!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 04:53 AM »
-I should tell that OO is version 4, of course meant to make you upgrade to version 5.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:19 AM »
Just got this though I don't know when I will use it).

Note - this only allows a single migration on that license number - so if you want to do more ...

For further info on the product in English see:

http://www.oo-softwa...rationkit/index.html

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 06:48 AM »
What review is there to wait for? Go get the offer!

I've got it alright, got two keys inadvertently cuz Gmail marked the copy that was sent there as spam. But like Carol, I don't know when I'll use it.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 08:13 AM »
At first, I thought about getting the LapLink migration tool, but then I realised that you don't actually need a third party migration kit, because Windows7 already includes one to help you migrate from (in my case) XP to Win7. It worked just fine and was free (bundled with the OS).

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 12:07 PM »
Am I correct in reading the O&O site to say that it will migrate applications as well as data - in which case the Windows Transfer Wizard doesn't do that.

The other thing is that the serial number is supplied in a German email with links to other tools (essentially a WindowsPE recovery CD set up) but the tools are all in German. Has anyone downloaded and tried to use these? Do they include English and do they expect German versions of Windows or are they for all languages?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 04:56 PM »
-I couldn't find any English version of O&O BuildPE. The available file is all in German, but the 50 pages "Migrationsguide Win XP to Win 7" (including a manual for O&O's version of Windows BuildPE).PDF is in English. Maybe O&O BuildPE is brand new, it is version 1.0.354.

Overview

Whether you're installing Windows 7 on your old computer, or are planning to buy a new one that already comes with Windows 7, you’ll quickly notice that something very important is missing: your personal data, settings, and programs that were available on your computer’s former operating system. You could, of course, transfer each of them one by one, and then reinstall them in a tedious process. No? Then take the easier route: Migration Kit for Windows 7.

Windows 7 only supports In-Place migrations from identical editions (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home). Both must be in the same language and both either 32 or 64-Bit. Migration between different editions is not supported (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional). The Migration Kit, however, supports a whole range of migration scenarios.

With just a few clicks, you’ll be able to transfer all your data and programs onto a new operating system or computer. This is not only easier and less time-consuming, it's also much more secure because as part of the Migration Kit for Windows 7, you’ll also be getting the multiple award-winning O&O DiskImage 4 Professional Edition. O&O DiskImage will create a complete image of your system prior to migration, so that your familiar IT environment will be available to you whenever you need it.
2011-03-04_232322.gif

* Windows 7 only supports In-Place migrations from identical editions (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home). Both must be in the same language and both either 32 or 64-Bit. Migration between different editions is not supported (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional). The Migration Kit, however, supports a whole range of migration scenarios.

iconic icon:

2011-03-05_000216.gif

About O&O BuildPE

Information and frequent questions about O&O BuildPE>>

O&O BuildPE is a Wizard that will help you create the boot media (CD, DVD or USB stick) for your O&O programs. For example, you will need the boot media if you want to run your O&O program without prior installation. This might be necessary whenever Windows is not booting up due to errors caused by defective software. To get your Windows back on track, you can run O&O DiskImage from the boot media, and restore the system partition to its original condition – this of course is only possible, if you have previously created an image.

Data recovery using the O&O RescueBox is also suited to boot media, since the installation of a data recovery product might overwrite key areas of the hard disk, making a later data recovery impossible.

Your system partition can only be changed if you use the O&O Partition Manager with the help of the boot medium. Often, new computers come with only one partition, and system files as well as private data are stored on it. A division into a system and a data drive makes the creation of images as well as the recovery of your data in the case of a disaster much easier.

Your boot medium also includes various O&O system rescue programs that allow you to access the Windows registry or stored files, even if Windows is corrupted or does not boot anymore.

Follow the steps in the Wizard to create the boot medium.

Please read the following tips:

* To download the required Windows AIK (Automated Installation Kit) you will need approximately 1.7 GB of free disk space. The download may take up to a few hours depending on transmission rate. We recommend using a download manager.
    * Be prepared with either a CD, DVD or USB stick when creating the boot media. No data can be stored on the removable medium, it must be completely empty.
    * Your computer should have at least over 1 GB RAM memory available in order to run your boot media as intended.
    * One of the following Windows operating systems must be installed on your computer: Windows 7, Server 2008 R2 or Vista (all Editions, 32 and 64 Bit)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 05:02 PM by Curt »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 08:39 PM »
@Carol Haynes:
"Am I correct in reading the O&O site to say that it will migrate applications as well as data - in which case the Windows Transfer Wizard doesn't do that."
That's odd, I used the Windows Transfer Wizard to transfer all the applications and their relevant data holas bolas. It worked very well for me. Maybe I used it the "wrong way"?

I did not know the WTW existed and only stumbled upon it by accident just as I was debating with myself whether to buy the O&O migration tool or the Laplink migration tool. WTW saved me some money and did a great job. I don't usually sing Micro$oft's praises, but I'd like to give credit where credit is due. (I've been very impressed with pretty much all of Windows7 so far.)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 02:49 AM »
-no, IainB, not the wrong way, but the only possible way:

* Windows 7 ("Windows Transfer Wizard") only supports In-Place migrations from identical editions (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home). Both must be in the same language and both either 32 or 64-Bit. Migration between different editions is not supported (e.g. from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional)

-O&O is for all the other combinations... say, from my old 32-bits XP Home > to my new 64-bits Win7ProOrSomething (when am I going to get it?).

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 03:42 AM by Curt »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 04:03 AM »
@Curt:
"...not the wrong way, but the only possible way..."
Oops. But I migrated from XP to Win7 (64-bit). - using WTW.
From what you said, I'm not supposed to be able to do that.
However, in my defence, I do recall taking the trouble to read the destructions before using the thing, and it seemed that it was well within its design parameters to do that.

In any event, it obviated the need for me to purchase either the O&O or the LapLink migration tool - which I had been on the point of buying.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 04:11 AM by IainB »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 04:54 AM »
@Carol Haynes:
"Am I correct in reading the O&O site to say that it will migrate applications as well as data - in which case the Windows Transfer Wizard doesn't do that."
That's odd, I used the Windows Transfer Wizard to transfer all the applications and their relevant data holas bolas. It worked very well for me. Maybe I used it the "wrong way"?

I did not know the WTW existed and only stumbled upon it by accident just as I was debating with myself whether to buy the O&O migration tool or the Laplink migration tool. WTW saved me some money and did a great job. I don't usually sing Micro$oft's praises, but I'd like to give credit where credit is due. (I've been very impressed with pretty much all of Windows7 so far.)

Well that isn't what Microsoft says:

Quote from Microsoft Download

This software installs Windows Easy Transfer on a computer running the 32-bit version of Windows XP so you can copy your files, photos, music, e-mail, settings, and more to a computer running Windows 7.

It doesn't say it transfers programs - only program settings. You need to reinstall the programs in Windows 7. That was my understanding and has certainly been the way WTW has worked in other versions in WinXP.

Having not tried either method the O&O method seems to imply that the upgrade process maintains everything - including installed apps - just like upgrading from Windows Vista to the same edition of 7.

By the way you can do an in place upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate with just a Windows installation disk (but not 32 to 64 bit). The trick requires one file on the installation disk to be edited to unlock all editions - then when you boot from an unlocked copy you can do the following:

Windows Vista HP --- Ugrade --> Windows 7 HP (but don't enter the product key during upgrade)
Windows 7 HP -- Anytime Upgrade --> Pro or Ult (now you use the key)

If you can find a copy of Vista on disk (planty of places to download and burn these) you can upgrade from XP to 7 (again within architecture limits):

Win XP --> Vista HP/Pro/Ult (upgrade without key)
Win Vista --> same ed. Win 7 (upgrade with key)

I tried this and it worked on my laptop.

Two last comments:

1) As I understand it WTW is not an upgrade path - it is just a simple way to copy files and settings from one computer to another and doesn't do any form of 'upgrade'. You still have to do a clean install of Windows 7 and install all your apps again.
2) Any form of upgrade is not a brilliant idea - it just moves any exisiting problems and quirks to the new OS with unpredictable results. I have learned this lesson in the past to my cost.

FWIW my advice is to do a clean install and manually copy data files from the old hard disk (sorting and chucking as you go) then reinstall software and rewset 6the settings as you want manually. I don't know about other people's computers but my Win XP setup (that I am in the process of upgrading to 7-Pro-64) was full of rubbish and duplicates plus loads of software that either won't work with 7 or I haven't used in years. What is the point of upgrading and taking all the crap (both in terms of files and pointless registry bloat) to the new setup. I only plan to install things I am going to use on the new box so I want to keep it as lean as I can (despite having huge numbers of applications installed!).

FWIW I used Paragon's Virtualization Manager Pro to make a complete VM Of my old system and can still use it perfectly in VMWare if I need to check settings etc.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 05:36 AM »
@Carol Haynes:
What an impressive post!       :Thmbsup:
Only odd thing is:
"It doesn't say it transfers programs."
It apparently doesn't say that it doesn't transfer programs either. I used it to transfer programs. Just pointed the thing at the program folders I wanted to transfer, and Bob's yer uncle - worked a treat. Some of the transferred proggies fired up initially with a bit of difficulty on the Win7 (64) platform, but, after a bit of adjustment to their properties, thereafter ran OK. Some didn't play nicely in the new OS so I reinstalled them and that usually seemed to fix things. One or two wouldn't work at all in the new OS, but these did not surprise me.
Maybe I was using it "the wrong way" after all, but I dun't kno ani beter.
Oh dear what a pity never mind.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 11:16 AM »
I suspect you have been lucky and that you have transferred programs that don't require registry entries or files store in common folders.

Here is Microsoft's Tutorial for using WET Wizard. (Interesting acronym - wet ?)

To quote the relevant bit on step 2:

• Windows Easy Transfer doesn't move your programs, only your files and settings. You'll need to reinstall your programs by hand after Windows 7 installation is complete. Windows Easy Transfer will provide you with a list of programs that you are currently using with Windows XP.
  • Don't use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP to move your files. It isn't compatible with Windows 7, and if you use it, you won't be able to restore your files in Windows 7. Use Windows Easy Transfer instead.
  • Windows Easy Transfer can't transfer files from a 64-bit version of Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. If you're running a 64-bit version of Windows XP, but you plan to install a 32-bit version of Windows 7, you'll need to copy your files manually to an external location before installing Windows 7, and then move them back after Windows installation is completed.
  • Windows Easy Transfer moves your music and video files, but doesn't migrate the licenses for content protected by digital rights management (DRM). This means that you'll need to re-obtain rights to DRM‑protected files from the online store that provided them after you finish installing Windows 7 and restoring these files to your computer. For more information, see Step 4: Moving your files and settings back to your computer.

I haven't quoted this for one upmanship but because these threads are indexed in search engines and it needs to be clear that WET is not designed to transfer applications. It may work in certain circumstances but it may also cause some unitended consequences in your Win 7 install too if it starts replacing 64-bit DLL files with 32-bit ones!

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:21 AM by Carol Haynes »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Found this walk through that may help if you want to try it.

http://pcnet-online....les,to,windows,7.htm

Personally I did a destructive upgrade and reloaded everything for W7.
And played with dual booting for a while, but that got old quick.
But if you want to try Laplink PCMover Pro,
be sure to make backup of your current setup to a usb drive or another hard drive.
I think I did that anyway, for my files and a full backup.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:47 AM by cmpm »