ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Popping Downloads - iframe or meta refresh?

(1/4) > >>

Renegade:
Which do you find a better way to pop a download? In an iframe? Or in a meta refresh?

app103:
Don't use meta refresh. Some browsers and security tools block that.

worstje:
No matter what method you use, it might get blocked. Some browsers block automatic refreshes, others block javascripts, and there are others that hate on iframes for varying reasons (security, ad-blocking).

If a browser and/or security tool blocks some function, it is because the user has it installed and very likely wants it blocked like that. So please, do not try to undermine the users wishes by finding a way around it.

So, in my eyes, the best method imo is to use an ordinary meta refresh (it is meant for this purpose!) combined with the usual 'if it does not download in a moment, use this link' thing.

app103:
combined with the usual 'if it does not download in a moment, use this link' thing.
-worstje (March 04, 2011, 01:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

YES!  :up:

Stoic Joker:
combined with the usual 'if it does not download in a moment, use this link' thing.
-worstje (March 04, 2011, 01:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
Is there a specific reason for not just starting with a plain link in the first place? This has always drove me nutz, because I'm forever having to hit the "This Link" link while wondering why the hell they didn't just start with something that works. ...Fixing things with damage perhaps?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version