topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:29 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows7 user administration question  (Read 6673 times)

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows7 user administration question
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:22 PM »
Hi

I am, having a weird issue here and I thought that someone with proper skills might help me out.

Everytime I save, create files or folders it is created with "administrators" owner. Now my user name is part of administrators group, but the name is not "administrators". This issue makes file access complicated, second I do not think that it should say "administrators" in the owner tab or security properties.  I feel like something is messed up in this scheme.

What would be the right way to fix this issue? I would like my files and folders to be created with the right user name, distinguishable user name

I am on Windows7 64bit

thanks

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows7 user administration question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:57 AM »
Mine says Administrators group too
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:41 PM »
Does that sound right though? I really would like my 'owner" to say my user name, this might complicate things.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Right click.

Go to Properties.

Security Tab.

Click Advanced.

Owner Tab.

Edit.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 01:48 PM »
timms, that resolves per folder or file but that does not solve my problem. My problem is that the ownership shows up as "administrators" in all my drives regardless of what they are. SO it looks like it is by default.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 01:52 PM »
Everytime I save, create files or folders it is created with "administrators" owner.

(...Create the file) Where? If it is in your My Documents folder then that could be a bit odd. On the other hand, if it's on the root of C: then that (ain't just yours...) would track with letting other/all administrators have full access/control of it.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:14 PM »
timms, that resolves per folder or file but that does not solve my problem. My problem is that the ownership shows up as "administrators" in all my drives regardless of what they are. SO it looks like it is by default.

Here's Microsoft's rationale for this behavior (on XP anyway - basically, they figure that if you're an admin doing stuff on the machine, another user who's an admin probably would need to muck with the files):

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101768

On XP this was controlled by a local group policy setting that was removed in Vista (so it's not in Win7 either):

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947721

Vista changed this for reasons (and ways) that I don't fully comprehend:

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 do not support this setting any longer. When enabled, User Account Control (UAC) will ensure the user account is being used as owner for all objects created locally. For remote access, the administrators group will be used there is no restricted token for network sessions.

It sounds like it's saying that if UAC is enabled you'll get the behavior you want (do you have UAC disabled?).  If that's the case, it doesn't say how you'd get the behavior you want while UAC is disabled.

There's a Server Fault question about this stuff (http://serverfault.c...iving-ownership-to-t), and the answer that discusses the situation on Vista and later behavior seems to explain things a little better, or at least differently. But I'll confess to still being  somewhat confused. Since my head is starting to hurt, I'll leave it to you to understand better...

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:19 PM »
Right click.

Go to Properties.

Security Tab.

Click Advanced.

Owner Tab.

Edit.

Using TakeOwnership is a little easier.

ie. Right click -> Take Ownership

Ownership changes from Administrators to current user.

BTW, it's not recommended you do this on any Windows system folders, (Users, ProgramData, Program Files, Windows, etc), you'll most likely FUBAR the system.....I know, I've done it :P

I am on Windows7 64bit

Home, Pro, Ultimate, Enterprise?

Single user system?

Multi-user with only one admin, (you) ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:33 PM by 4wd »