topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 4:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Temporary Toggled Port Blocking  (Read 4966 times)

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Temporary Toggled Port Blocking
« on: March 04, 2011, 09:49 AM »
I need an application (other than a basic firewall) that I can basically turn on or off that will basically allow me to see a list of programs with active connections to the internet that are sending and receiving and allow me to temporarily suspend those applications so that they do not have access to the internet.

Any ideas?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Temporary Toggled Port Blocking
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:59 AM »
There's a Microsoft KB article about IPsec installation and usage. That's able to block/unblock, but I haven't read enough of the details to see if it can also properly list whether the ports are actually transferring data.

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 10:01 AM »
There's a Microsoft KB article about IPsec installation and usage. That's able to block/unblock, but I haven't read enough of the details to see if it can also properly list whether the ports are actually transferring data.
Yeah, I looked into that just recently and it sort of touched on what I wanted but you can't make any rulesets or anything.

Here's my situation: I play an online game that is extremely ping-dependent, and my connection isn't the best. Basically, when I play this game, I want to run some application that I can start up and load/set a ruleset that will block all other applications other than this game for accessing the internet so that only the game itself is affecting my ping.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 10:17 AM »
There used to be a utility called GameMode that did something close to what you're looking for. (We used to occasionally use it as a safe boot alternative.) Last I looked you could still get it from CNET's download section on their website. Don't know if the programmers ever updated or got it to work with Win7 however. If you're on XP it might be worth a look.
 :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 10:21 AM by 40hz »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 10:23 AM »
What if you just shut down all the apps & services that do other internet connections? AFAIR, there's an app for that, made just recently, to stop stuff when watching a video, but I haven't been able to find that thread yet :huh:.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 03:13 PM »
It took a while, but I've found the thread I mentioned, and it has a solution as well :up:

Hyphen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:37 PM »
It took a while, but I've found the thread I mentioned, and it has a solution as well :up:
Looked, but it seems like most download links there have been removed?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 12:59 PM »
Looked, but it seems like most download links there have been removed?

There are no download links, it's attached to the third last post.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 01:12 PM by 4wd »