Pretty impressive (Can your linux do this?)
Pretty much. And at zero cost to the person doing the upgrades. What are we looking at here? Something like $500-$600 to go from DOS 5 to Win7? (Assuming, of course, you weren't bootlegging
your copy of everything up to pre-WGA
FWIW you can update approximately 95% of what's on virtually any Linux installation without needing to reboot. The remaining 5% (mostly kernal updates) may soon not require a reboot either thanks to ksplice
and a few other projects that are looking to remove that too.
It's also worth noting that Linux, in general, is starting to move away from the notion of versions, opting for a rolling release model.
Microsoft is too. But they're thinking more along the lines of cloud-based services and applications which will be sold by annual subscription.
If all goes according to plan, it will eventually turn the PC into a smart terminal with subscribed access to a remote application and data server. (Kinda hauls us right back to 1960 (with IBM/Honeywell/Sperry Rand) except now
we have the web - doesn't it?
Either way, that video was very cool. Brings back some fond memories (Win2K Pro
) and some painful ones (ME - whatever where they thinking?). Glad I didn't have to see that
headache again. I still get nightmares. Surprised he didn't do WFWG however, since that was the Win3 most "smart money" went with.
ANyway...Great find! Thx for sharing it.