ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Lift: Short Film on Everyday People

<< < (2/2)

zridling:
I wonder when this was filmed. Here in the States, everyone I know has their face buried in their phone, playing with it, texting, talking, calling. I'm that guy who smiles and always makes small talk in short, tight situations like that. I was in my optometrist's office the other day, a middle-aged lady asked me what I was there for and I made a bad joke: "The last eye doctor I went to was getting old. I knew it because instead of asking me to sit down and look at the wall, he asked me to bend over and cough."

She grimaced and then told me she was 46 years old out of nowhere. I figure everyone not buried in their phone is likely too tired to talk, or more likely as Henry Thoreau wrote: The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. I wrote a paper in high school in response to his Civil Disobedience and Essays titled: "Most men live lives that are desperately quiet." Back then I thought I was clever.

nudone:
hahaha. that wasn't despressing, it was pretty funny, and i'd say intentionally so. not in a laughing at the people way, more laughing with them. you can see they found it amusing and ridiculous, or were just perplexed but also amused.

i love this kind of stuff, real people, just being who they are - and not giving a sh*t.

boy, if that's depressing you'd better not come out with me or meet some of my old friends - you'd be throwing yourself in front of a train by the end of the conversation.

it's all about laughing at the absurdity and how crap things are.

there's loads of humour in it. phew. i'm surprised a phew of you thought it was despressing.

nudone:
okay, it gets a bit depressiong towards the end with the bloke discussing his dead parents. but there are still plenty of humorous bits scattered through it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version