topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any XML gui tools out there?  (Read 15424 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any XML gui tools out there?
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:10 PM »
A lot of my favorite programs have the ability to export xml files.  These same programs also have very poor printing capabilities.  So, somehow, I need to be able to print GOOD-LOOKING tables from the information in these programs.  I tried dealing with Excel's xml capabilities, but they are very convoluted.  I need a way to take an EXISTING xml file, and quickly be able to print it in a nice looking report.  I don't want to manipulate it in Excel for 15 minutes every time I want to print something.  Is there anything like this?

What I'm looking for is something that will allow me to map the xml elements, as far as what I want shown and what I don't want shown.  I don't want everything shown, usually there's way too much data there.  So I need to be able to hide things. Then, I need to be able to format everything: headers, fonts, background color, etc.  Then, when I do all this once, i need to be able to save it, and every other time I use an export from teh same program, i want it to spit out the nice looking things I set up.

Anything?

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any XML gui tools out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:03 PM »
I have that feeling of deja vu... there was a similar thread recently and I think we mentioned such things as XSLT

I bet there's a few folks who could give you a hand with setting up a stylesheet, and once it's all set up, re-use and customisation should be a piece of cake. While falling off a log.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46 PM »
I have that feeling of deja vu... there was a similar thread recently and I think we mentioned such things as XSLT

I bet there's a few folks who could give you a hand with setting up a stylesheet, and once it's all set up, re-use and customisation should be a piece of cake. While falling off a log.

I don't know of any good, easy tools for XSLT development.

If the XML files are all the same type, then once you create the XSLT, you're good to go forever. However, if they are all different types, then you will need 1 XLST for each type.

But do check for XSL authoring tools as there might be something out there. I've done it by hand in the past, and don't know of any user-friendly authoring tools, but it doesn't mean they aren't out there.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:39 AM »
There's the input description: http://xmlgraphics.a...ache.org/fop/fo.html

And a graphical authoring tool: http://foa.sourceforge.net/

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:36 PM »
Tried FOA - similar need to superboyac's - but it opens only its own XML files or those created by WH2FO.

The FO stuff might work, but there's no time to learn a new scripting (?) language  :huh:.

Still searching ...  :(.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 10:43 AM »
I have a copy of Stylus Studio and would be willing to write some simple stylesheets for you guys.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 06:43 PM »
I have a copy of Stylus Studio and would be willing to write some simple stylesheets for you guys.
Could you post a screenshot or pdf of a sample report that you have created using a stylesheet?  I have never seen an end-result with xml.  Everyone always talks about about what you can do, but I've never seen anyone do it and print it out.  So I'd be really interested in something where you've taken an xml file, styled it using Stlyus Studio, and now have a nice-looking report.  Thanks, I'd really appreciate it.

timns

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Ok well it's not very 'pretty' because this is a bit of a dry old manifest, but basically we go from this:

Input XML
xmlin.pngAny XML gui tools out there?

through the stylesheet, to create this
htmlout.pngAny XML gui tools out there?

At this point you have complete control over the layout, since the stylesheet is turning your XML into HTML. In otherwords, you're telling the stylesheet what to look for in the XML, and then how to present it using HTML commands.

So it appears nicely in your browser and from there you can print, save etc.

jasonvogel

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 05:14 PM »
I use the FREE XML Pad (http://www.wmhelp.com/xmlpad3.htm).  I used to use XML Spy (expensive, but awesome).

Jason

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 06:34 PM »
Don't know if anything from the following thread is of any use, but FWIW:

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=22617.0

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 01:27 AM »
I use the FREE XML Pad (http://www.wmhelp.com/xmlpad3.htm). 

Hm, the site seems to have either passed away, or it's been DoCo'd (like 'slashdotted' :D)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 09:47 AM »
XML pad is good, but a bit buggy IMO. And... yes, the site seems to be gone.

After trying quite a few I settled on XML marker for simple tasks. It's fast and efficient in RAM and CPU resources.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 09:50 AM »
I should mention that XML marker has some limitations, and that's when I use xml pad.

[Edit : application is still in active development though and some of the limitations -- like no Unicode support -- should be addressed, according to the developer.]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:55 AM by Armando, Reason: Added comment about limitations. »

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 06:39 PM »
I use the FREE XML Pad (http://www.wmhelp.com/xmlpad3.htm). 

Hm, the site seems to have either passed away, or it's been DoCo'd (like 'slashdotted' :D)

No luck here either. I figured I would take a look because XML Marker hasn't been updated in quite a while (2004).

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:10 PM »
XML Marker hasn't been updated in quite a while (2004).

The developper seems activethough...  There he says

Project status:
It has been more 6 years(!) since the last release, but development has not stopped. XML Marker 2.0 should be out soon and will include the following features:

* Read XML files in Unicode using UTF 8 and UTF 16 encoding.
    * Edit json files.
    * Tree will not collapse when editing the text.