ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Lift: Short Film on Everyday People

(1/2) > >>

mouser:
Many of us spend our days going through life on rails, avoiding strangers.. Films like these make you appreciate how special it can be to step off the track and make a connection with someone you don't know for no other reason than to put a ripple in the waters and share a human moment.

from http://www.cynical-c.com/

IainB:
Now that's depressing.

cranioscopical:
Now that's depressing.
-IainB (March 03, 2011, 07:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not wholly uplifting.

mouser:
I didn't find it depressing.  Here's my take: There is a lot of sadness and loneliness in this world.  This video shows some of that.

But it also shows how much even just a single act of stepping through that imaginary forcefield that we all have that isolates each of us from one another, can make an impact on someone who is craving some connection with their fellow human beings.  I think sometimes the smallest anonymous gesture of just reaching out to talk to someone can have a real and lasting impact on their life.

There are more purely positive uplifting examples of this, most notably the amazing Free Hugs video, which is more than likely to make you cry.  But this one still moves me.. to see people open up and respond to someone who is willing to non-judgmentally listen to them, and see how it's a meaningful event for them.

IainB:
@mouser:
"There is a lot of sadness and loneliness in this world.  This video shows some of that. ... to see people open up and respond to someone who is willing to non-judgmentally listen to them, and see how it's a meaningful event for them."
--- End quote ---
Yes, exactly, and that's just one aspect of what seems to me to be so depressing about this video. It shows objectively the stark reality of a lot of the human condition in the marvellous, civilised human society in London (which is where I gathered it was from the context - the film is taken in what is probably the sole operational lift in an '80s-style, high-density living, apartment block).

I wouldn't dream of criticising either the video (I think it's quite an interesting idea, actually), nor your take on it, but, I find the video (and the rather curious Free Hugs one too, for that matter) - as cranioscopical so succinctly and possibly euphemistically puts it:
Not wholly uplifting.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version