ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

<< < (142/156) > >>

skwire:
I took the liberty to modify the script a little in regard to tray icon display and a (fake) tray tooltip.
[...]
Attached is a zip archive containing only the source code - no executable. Code has been tested using AutoHotkey v1.1.28.0 Unicode.-Drugwash (March 10, 2019, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

While I appreciate your interest in improving sWeather,  I do not appreciate you decompiling the code, making changes, and then posting it publicly.  My programs are not open source. Please respect that, and stop.

Drugwash:
Yeah, I know: no good deed remains unpunished. I removed the attachment. Nobody dowloaded it anyway.

wraith808:
Yeah, I know: no good deed remains unpunished. I removed the attachment. Nobody dowloaded it anyway.
-Drugwash (March 10, 2019, 04:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

Decompiling someone's source and reposting it doesn't seem to fall under the definition of good deed to me.

mouser:
I think the place to start from -- the first thing that needs to be said -- is that drugwash was trying to help and improve the program.  And that furthermore, he was making the non-trivial effort share his improvements in a respectful way with the author (our wonderful skwire) and the rest of us.

So in my humble opinion, the first thing that needs to be said to drugwash is "thank you".

After that, it's skwire's right to ask that drugwash not share/post modified versions of his software.  I can understand why that would be disappointing to drugwash, who was just trying to contribute some improvements to a program he obviously likes.

Most of the people on this site are fans of open source software -- coding and using it.  Many of the coders here release some, if not all, of their source code as open source and participate in open source software.  People who are sharing their programming skills here on this site are doing so largely because of the enjoyment we get in having others use our software.  But many of us here also have some software which we have, for various reasons, decided not to open source. For whatever reason, it is ultimately the coder's prerogative. 

Anyway, this is just my long way of saying to drugwash that I (we) appreciate the good deed you were trying to do, and don't want you to walk away with bad feelings about this -- rather I hope you will stick around and continue to participate, offer improvements of other sorts, and feel welcome here.  We are nothing if not a home for unusual people with unusual skills :up: :-*

leftdisconnected:
Unfortunately, my recent download of the March v1.8.2 sWeather release is being detected as malicious by at least 8 engines in VirusTotal.  The scan for the ZIP release can be seen HERE.

The bare executable triggers 12 detections, which can be seen HERE.

It's normal for less popular files and applications to trigger a few engines at VirusTotal, but 8 or more detections is rather uncommon.  I've been aware of sWeather for a number of years and am sure that skwire is a trustworthy developer, but is it possible that this file has been tampered with or are these all just false positives?  Even Microsoft is flagging this as PUA:Win32/Presenoker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version