ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

<< < (120/156) > >>

Mal:
I would like to say thank you for all your work over the years. This must have started as a passion project for you and turned into what it is now.

The problem is "free". It's been that way so long that people "expect it". I've been having this same discussion in UseNet groups about posting and expectations. Specifically, saying thank you.

When something is "free" for so long, it becomes a question of expectation of entitlement. Well that's not the case. The amount of time you have put in, and now the people bitching must make you feel that you have a chain and weight around your neck. I've been there on similar projects.

I've contribute to "free" projects when I can (limited funds), and I you CHOOSE to continue, then I'll do the same.  I hope that you do, but remember, you have no obligation to do so. All that I ask is if you do kill it, post the fact so we might know.

In the meantime, THANK YOU, for all your efforts.

Techteacher
-TechTeacher (January 11, 2019, 02:01 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ditto from me. You said it so eloquently. I have nothing to add except for a personal THANK YOU for sharing your wonderful work with others for free. Keep up your great work and please keep me informed of your updates. All the best. Mal

Drugwash:
Please forgive me, Jody, my philosophy of life is very wrong: I think everything should be free. I'm too idealistic and naive. That's why it always gets to me when I see change for the sake of change, planned obsolescence and so on. I like stability, consistency, continuity, compatibility - completely opposite to this century's trend.  :-[
Another bad side of mine is that I'm always grateful by default for everything that's offered for free but I rarely express it, considering it implied, which is - unfortunately - not always the case. And pointing out bugs or asking for features doesn't help at all, although all that is just out of this darn innate perfectionism - the desire to see a good thing better, to help its creator, not to do myself a favor.

So thank you Jody for everything you've done and still doing for us all, for free. And hopefully you'll find a way to get this script working again, firstly for yourself. Good luck!  :Thmbsup:

TechTeacher:
Your philosophy of, "I think everything should be free." fits in with the values originally expressed by Homebrew Computer Club. This of course has been revised to, "How much can we make". Of course there are still few exceptions in the tech arena, Linus Torvalds immediately comes to mind with Linux. But even that has become commoditization by the market. But creators are entitled to compensation for their efforts (should they choose to be) and have the right to change their minds at any point.

Look up Richard Stallman and the concept of Copyleft!

This is not an attack on you and please don't take it that way. I, also have that baked into a certain point. But for me, it's the media industry. My issues stem from not being able to record broadcasts on "public airwaves" at the highest resolution. And having to "buy" the same movie over and over again as the format media changes. This directly addresses you statement below.

"That's why it always gets to me when I see change for the sake of change, planned obsolescence and so on. I like stability, consistency, continuity, compatibility - completely opposite to this century's trend."

And I agree with your above statement 100%. You may use Apple as a text book example.

I had my Samsung Windows i700 phone from the day it was released till the day they killed the analogue band. I'm still running windows 7 on most of my systems, because IMO everything that came after was POS (And I ain't talk'in point of sale!) Hell, I still have a modem connected to my laptop for when the power goes off with a Virtual Windows For Workgroups and the original version of Mozilla installed on it with Trumpet Winsock!

I'm sorry for "monologuing", and going off topic, but I suddenly needed to vent.

As to the original topic.  If sWeather is dead, then so be it. It was a wonderful little program that earned my respect and gratitude. To quote Twain, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."

I can hope!

wraith808:
I think that 'free' is often misinterpreted, especially on the side of the receiver.  'Free' is never free, the costs are either absorbed by someone else, or are in a form that you don't immediately realize.  People thought that Facebook was free.  They were wrong.  They were buying the ability to use Facebook with their privacy.  In the same way, skwire offers these programs for free, but he absorbs the cost, whether he does it because he wants to or not, it takes his time and resources. 

I think if more people thought about things in that way, they might be more appreciative (and in some cases skeptical) of the people that provide free things.

skwire:
Please forgive me, Jody, my philosophy of life is very wrong: I think everything should be free. I'm too idealistic and naive.-Drugwash (January 13, 2019, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Brother, there is no need for an apology.  I don't think your philosophy of life is, as you put it, wrong.  Given the world we live in, I don't think it's very realistic, but it's not wrong.

Another bad side of mine is that I'm always grateful by default for everything that's offered for free but I rarely express it, considering it implied, which is - unfortunately - not always the case.-Drugwash (January 13, 2019, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please don't worry about it.  As mouser knows, I am not the type of person that writes software for any type of accolades.  I was brought up with the saying, "If a friend asks for help, you help them."  The satisfaction I get from being able to share what I'm capable of is enough for me.  In fact, it makes me quite uncomfortable to toot my own horn or to directly solicit donations.  That said, every donation makes me feel utterly humbled that somebody would part with their own money for something I've offered for free.

And pointing out bugs or asking for features doesn't help at all,-Drugwash (January 13, 2019, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Quite the opposite, actually.  Without bug reports and feature requests, my applications would not be what they are.

although all that is just out of this darn innate perfectionism - the desire to see a good thing better, to help its creator, not to do myself a favor.-Drugwash (January 13, 2019, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

And that's how I take them.  I like fixing things and making them better, so please keep on reporting bugs and requesting features.  I'll do my best to get to them...or tell you no.  Hahaha.   :P

So thank you Jody for everything you've done and still doing for us all, for free. And hopefully you'll find a way to get this script working again, firstly for yourself. Good luck!  :Thmbsup:-Drugwash (January 13, 2019, 01:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are most welcome.  And, yes, I hope like hell I hear back from Yahoo! and get sWeather working again.  It's one of my favourite apps and I, myself, use it daily.

As to the original topic.  If sWeather is dead, then so be it.-TechTeacher (January 15, 2019, 04:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not dead until I say so...and I haven't said so.   :Thmbsup:

I think that 'free' is often misinterpreted, especially on the side of the receiver.  'Free' is never free, the costs are either absorbed by someone else, or are in a form that you don't immediately realize.  People thought that Facebook was free.  They were wrong.  They were buying the ability to use Facebook with their privacy.  In the same way, skwire offers these programs for free, but he absorbs the cost, whether he does it because he wants to or not, it takes his time and resources.-wraith808 (January 15, 2019, 09:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Beautifully put, wraith808.  Yes, programming does cost me time, resources, and more grey hair.  However, I accept that fully and cheerfully, otherwise I wouldn't do it.

I think if more people thought about things in that way, they might be more appreciative (and in some cases skeptical) of the people that provide free things.
-wraith808 (January 15, 2019, 09:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's all good.  All good.   :)

FWIW, I offer my programs as freeware for the following reasons:

* I thoroughly enjoy programming.  It's a great feeling to be able to create something useful for myself and others.
* It's my way of giving back to the internet, at large, for all the other freeware I've used myself over the years.
* IMHO, I have a knack for taking somebody's idea for a piece of software and making it into something tangible for them.  This is the whole idea behind our Coding Snacks forum and I one-hundred percent love doing this for people.
* As I mentioned before, offering my software as freeware means that, though I try to do so, I am not obligated to provide any type of support, bug fixes, feature requests, etc.  I have a family, a full-time job, and plenty of other hobbies that (mostly, haha  :D) come first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version