ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

<< < (117/156) > >>

skwire:
Just putting this out there, have you considered supporting an alternate weather API such as OpenWeatherMap?-dhry (January 08, 2019, 05:59 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have, and:

1) None of my software reports home or anything like that so I have no real idea of sWeather's install base.  However, based on the email feedback I get, it is one of my most popular apps.  So, based on that, and based on their verbiage, I will assume the number of API calls the free tier they offer is not nearly enough to support sWeather.

2) Changing the API would require a lot of code refactoring, which I don't have time for.  If I did do something like that, I'd probably just write an sWeather 2.0 as time allowed and require each user to get their own API key from OpenWeatherMap to get around the API call limit.

Of course, another option is to pay for API access but most of the ones I've looked at are pretty pricey and the donations I receive for my software wouldn't even begin to cover such an expense.  That said, every donation is, of course, appreciated.  =]

Personally, I don't use all of the apps I've written, but I did write sWeather for myself, and use it daily, so I'm eager to get it working again.  I hope all this helps to explain my perspective on everything.

Drugwash:
Maybe an easier (somehow) approach would be to F(orget) the API, load the corresponding web page and parse it to get the desired values. I do that for an IMDb-related script of mine, instead of F(ool)ing around with the API - that is, begging for their approval.

On a related note, AccuWeather used to provide free widgets for sites and blogs; not anymore, apparently - the free widgets page is now blank and the code (js script) doesn't work. Ain't that a F(reak)ing coincidence…?

skwire:
Maybe an easier (somehow) approach would be to F(orget) the API, load the corresponding web page and parse it to get the desired values. I do that for an IMDb-related script of mine, instead of F(ool)ing around with the API - that is, begging for their approval.-Drugwash (January 09, 2019, 01:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

If it were for just a personal script, I would entertain doing that.  However, for a released app, I'll pass.  =]

Drugwash:
Yeah well, look what you said above: "Personally, I don't use all of the apps I've written, but I did write sWeather for myself, and use it daily, so I'm eager to get it working again."

It is personal, in the first place, and I believe if you make it work again - by any means - then you can share it with the rest of the world just as it comes out. It may be imperfect, it may require frequent updates if/when webpage layout/ids/etc change, but as long as you keep it updated for yourself it wouldn't be hard to publish the new versions online. ;)

What I'm saying is, if one were to choose between having something or not having anything, probably the something would prevail. I'm getting old and I could surely use this script/app to tell me when I should or should not go out. I don't care if it takes 50 or 100 RegExMatch() statements to do its job, as long as it does its job. ;)

wraith808:
I don't care if it takes 50 or 100 RegExMatch() statements to do its job, as long as it does its job.
-Drugwash (January 09, 2019, 02:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

You'll care when something breaks and you have to figure out what that might be  ;D :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version