topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)  (Read 472662 times)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2013, 12:33 PM »
I guess it requires a program restart before that takes effect. I didn't expect that or I would have done that before now!

Well, it shouldn't require a restart...that's the problem.  I'll do some more testing.  Which OS are you running?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2013, 01:26 PM »
Windows 7 x64.

Thanks!

Jim

dshoup

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2013, 02:18 PM »
I just installed sWeather...really nice program!  I am, however, having a problem...the system tray icon does not seem to update automatically.  I have it set to update every 15 minutes, but it does not update even after 4-6 hours.  If I open the program and manually refresh, everything works perfectly.  I just can't seem to figure out how to get it to do this on its own.  FYI, I'm running Windows 8 64-bit, I do not use a proxy server, and I have sWeather 1.4.3 build 5 (Unicode build) "installed" in my documents folder with a single location (in the United States).  Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2013, 02:33 PM »
I just installed sWeather...really nice program!
Thank you, dshoup, and welcome to the DonationCoder website.

I am, however, having a problem...the system tray icon does not seem to update automatically.  I have it set to update every 15 minutes, but it does not update even after 4-6 hours.  If I open the program and manually refresh, everything works perfectly.  I just can't seem to figure out how to get it to do this on its own.  FYI, I'm running Windows 8 64-bit, I do not use a proxy server, and I have sWeather 1.4.3 build 5 (Unicode build) "installed" in my documents folder with a single location (in the United States).  Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

sWeather hasn't been tested on Windows 8 so that could be a/the problem.  However, on a hunch, change the tray temperature theme to something other than "Default" and let me know if that solves the issue.  Also, are you using a laptop (or sleep/hibernation mode)?

dshoup

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #204 on: July 09, 2013, 02:13 PM »
Well, tried switching to the minicat tray theme...no change.  I still have to manual refresh.  I guess we may have to chalk this one up to Windows 8.  To answer your questions, I am using a desktop computer.  I do use hybrid sleep over night.  sWeather appears to update in the morning when I first wake things up, but it never updates again after that.  Let me know if you would like any additional information for debugging purposes if/when you get around to looking at Win8 compatibility.  I can live with it for now as I realize much of the world is not moving to Win8 any time soon and you may have more productive ways to spend your time :)

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #205 on: July 09, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Let me know if you would like any additional information for debugging purposes if/when you get around to looking at Win8 compatibility.

Hmmm...are both icons not changing or just the temperature one?

dshoup

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #206 on: July 10, 2013, 07:24 AM »
Couldn't say...the weather conditions over the past week have been a bit like the movie groundhog day...sunny and HOT (repeat again tomorrow).  So I wouldn't expect the other icon to change.  Is there a log or something that can be used to check if updates are occurring without the icon update?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #207 on: July 10, 2013, 10:00 AM »
Couldn't say...the weather conditions over the past week have been a bit like the movie groundhog day...sunny and HOT (repeat again tomorrow).  So I wouldn't expect the other icon to change.  Is there a log or something that can be used to check if updates are occurring without the icon update?

No, there's no log.  However, the temperature tray icon is created using a third-party library since AutoHotkey, on its own, only allows for one tray icon.  Even if your weather conditions don't change during the day, the icon should change at night to a "moon" type of icon.

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #208 on: July 10, 2013, 12:07 PM »
skwire : out on another limb here though this may have been mentioned before (was it ?) :

when using the ten-day view and running the mouse pointer over the lower row to see the temperature conversions you get the days and conversions for the row above (i.e. the first five days) and when doing the same for the upper row, you get nothing at all.

I'm not sure if that is very clear but you'll get the gist.
Thanks.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #209 on: July 10, 2013, 12:14 PM »
when using the ten-day view and running the mouse pointer over the lower row to see the temperature conversions you get the days and conversions for the row above (i.e. the first five days) and when doing the same for the upper row, you get nothing at all.

Bug!  Will fix.  Thank you for the report.

dshoup

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2013, 12:58 PM »
No, there's no log.  However, the temperature tray icon is created using a third-party library since AutoHotkey, on its own, only allows for one tray icon.  Even if your weather conditions don't change during the day, the icon should change at night to a "moon" type of icon.

Hmm...going to be hard to do as it is my work computer and I go home well before sunset this time of year (I use Win7 at home).  I tried changing my system clock 12 hours and after 45 minutes (3 update cycles) there was no icon change for the tray condition icon.  However, I suspect sWeather uses the time from the Yahoo data as even manually refreshing the data did not change the icon.  Hovering over the weather status icon did show the old time as the last update (which was about 2 hours old at the time).  Short of working overnight tonight ;), let me know if there is anything else I can do for debugging.  FYI, I currently am using LED for the tray condition theme.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:27 PM by dshoup »

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46 PM »
@joiwind:

Website | Download
v1.4.4 - 2013-06-10
    ! Converted temps weren't displaying properly for the entire 10-day
      forecast.  (Thanks, joiwind)

Thank you.  =]

dshoup

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Hey, what do you know, we had a change in weather...small storm passed through.  I can now definitively say the weather condition icon was not updating either as I just did a manual update and saw a cloud icon for the first time in weeks.  However, this did not occur automatically.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2013, 02:56 PM »
Hey, what do you know, we had a change in weather...small storm passed through.  I can now definitively say the weather condition icon was not updating either as I just did a manual update and saw a cloud icon for the first time in weeks.  However, this did not occur automatically.

That's very odd.  I really have no idea why it wouldn't update so it might be a Windows 8 thing; I mean, it works here in my Windows 7 box (and XP before that).  Thank you for your patience on this.

dshoup

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2013, 03:08 PM »
No worries.  And it is a great little program...I love the elegance!

joiwind

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • carpe momentum
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2013, 03:30 PM »
@joiwind:

Website | Download
v1.4.4 - 2013-06-10
    ! Converted temps weren't displaying properly for the entire 10-day
      forecast.  (Thanks, joiwind)

Thank you.  =]

Thanks skwire  :Thmbsup:

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2013, 03:36 PM »
@dshoup: If you set up a few different locations and then switch between them using the blue arrows, do the tray icons update properly?

dshoup

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32 AM »
@dshoup[/b]: If you set up a few different locations and then switch between them using the blue arrows, do the tray icons update properly?
I set up a second location and both the temperature and condition system tray icons change correctly if I change locations, but neither location is automatically updating.  I did notice that things automatically updated a couple of times yesterday...but then it stopped updating later in the day.  It also automatically updated this morning when I resumed from hybrid sleep, but has not updated in the 1h I have had the computer running.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2013, 11:07 AM »
Last night and this morning it appears that the service was down. No data, no icons, etc. Looked like this:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Jim

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #219 on: July 11, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Yep, I've noticed it's been a bit spotty the past few days.  Seems better today for me.

win8shucks

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2013, 03:46 AM »
Can confirm dshoup's issue of no auto-refresh on Windows 8 64-bit, have the exact same issue.
Also tried running it as administrator and a 15-minute refresh, still no auto-refresh.

Manually refreshing it works. Just not automatically.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2013, 10:09 AM »
Hi, win8shucks, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.  As discouraging as it sounds, thank you for your report.  I don't have Windows 8 so testing this is going to be difficult.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2013, 06:13 PM »
I have noticed that you can get in a lot of trouble with running services on Windows 2012. Till now I found out that only the local Administrator account that doesn't give problems.

Even when using a local user name that is a member of the 'Administrators' group, I was not able to run a certain service I need. Making adjustments in the local security policies didn't do the trick either.

The error I experience happens at the moment I install the service. Managing the service afterwards is not the problem with any of the test accounts I made on that system, just the installing of a service is problematic.

As Windows 2012 and Windows 8 are from the same "family", this might be of interest to you.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Thanks, Shades.  Unfortunately, sWeather doesn't install/run as a service.  What doesn't seem to be working under Windows 8 is just a simple timer within the application.

win8shucks

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #224 on: July 25, 2013, 03:06 AM »
In the meantime as a workaround for Win8, is there a command line argument I can pass to sweather to make it refresh? I am thinking of binding a key in an AutoHotKey script to refresh it whenever I press a button. Thanks!