ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

<< < (35/156) > >>

skwire:
Hi, jm34harvey, and welcome to the DonationCoder site.  Can you please do what rgdot suggests, and try running sWeather in a folder that is not UAC protected?  Thank you.

jm34harvey:
rgdot, skwire,

Thanks, it worked. It was my old friend UAC lurking in the wings. Actually, I checked "run as administrator" in my shortcut and it worked.

I used NirSoft's ZipInstaller and by default, it offers to create a Program Files folder. Since, it'll help me remember this lesson (and forget others), I suspect that I will create a "UAC Intimidated Programs" folder. When they are huddled together, they'll feel less intimidated. Also, it'll make it easier to select options like "Run when Windows starts."

Thanks again for the rapid response, John, Wizened Web Wizard Wannabe

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." -Albert Einstein

skwire:
Thanks, it worked. It was my old friend UAC lurking in the wings. Actually, I checked "run as administrator" in my shortcut and it worked.-jm34harvey (September 19, 2012, 02:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Great to hear and thanks for reporting back.  I hope you like the application.  =]

Joe Hone:
This program is nothing but fun and informative, very ingenious.  :Thmbsup:

I am curious about whether different weather sources are available other than Yahoo Weather? For instance, until I downloaded sWeather I kept wunderground running in the background on my desktop because it offers choices of specific weather stations - there are a dozen or so here in Phoenix, and one is within 100 yards of my house, kind of like having my own private weather station. I also have family in rural Virginia, and there are 3 weather stations within 10 miles of their home accessible at wunderground, but Yahoo Weather only offers a single weather source at both locations. It is amazing how much variance there is between the different weather station options, some just miles apart. But don't get me wrong, I'm delighted sWeather and I'm tracking 5 locations daily - nice to follow the weather where my kids live.  :D

skwire:
I am curious about whether different weather sources are available other than Yahoo Weather?-Joe Hone (December 18, 2012, 11:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

*shrug* It's one of those times where you have to pick something, right?  At the time I developed sWeather, the Yahoo! API was one of the easiest to deal with.  No API key signup, no real ToS to adhere to other than "don't be a d...", no authentication, easy RSS/XML output, etc.  I mean, I've read some API ToS that made me wonder, "Good grief, am I even allowed to develop a piece of freeware using this API?" I didn't get that feeling with the Yahoo! Weather API.  Sure, it's not perfect, but what is, right?

At any rate, thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you're enjoying sWeather.   :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version