ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Skwire Empire

Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)

<< < (136/156) > >>

click-click:
Why is Sweather now connecting out so often? I have refresh set at 15 minutes. This used to work correctly with older
versions of Sweather with only 2 (open/close) connections every so often. Now I see this:
Release: sWeather (tray-based weather app)
What's the reason for for the extra bandwith usage and can this be reduced or turned off?

skwire:
Why is Sweather now connecting out so often?-click-click (January 31, 2019, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Those aren't weather data requests; they're requests to timezonedb.com which is used for the "location time in time in the titlebar" option.  I added a fix in v1.7.8 because that text wasn't always showing properly in the titlebar.  To fix it, I now request the location time any time the sWeather window is activated.  That is, sWeather does not keep an internal clock of its own.  I didn't think this would be much of an issue since the amount of data is only around 250 bytes per request.  In your screenshot above, were you focusing the sWeather window repeatedly?  If not, there's a problem, and I can look into fixing it.  Here's an example of data that's returned:

--- ---<result>
<status>OK</status>
<message/>
<countryCode>US</countryCode>
<zoneName>America/Chicago</zoneName>
<abbreviation>CST</abbreviation>
<gmtOffset>-21600</gmtOffset>
<dst>0</dst>
<timestamp>1548952639</timestamp>
</result>
That's it.  I suppose I could add a check that makes it not requery for time data unless a certain amount of time has passed but the drawback would be that the time would not be accurate.  Is 250 bytes of data per hit too much?  Are you constantly focusing the sWeather window during the day?

skwire:
Never mind...I can see the same behaviour here.  I'll work on a fix.

click-click:
 Maybe the location time should fall under the refresh rule since it reflects the temp and conditions at that given time. No need to keep updating the time until the other information gets refreshed. Seems to me that would be more accurate.

skwire:
This should fix it.  The TimezoneDB API should only get queried when the main window is activated/focused.  Thank you for reporting this bug.

Website & Download
v1.8.0 - 2019-01-31
    ! Reduced the number of times the TimezoneDB API was queried.  (Thanks, click-click)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version