topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Error EX4: DBISAM Engine Error #11013  (Read 74040 times)

spknapp

• Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Error EX4: DBISAM Engine Error #11013
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 08:00 AM »
First time starting it up after install I get
Capture.JPG

When I bring up the main window it looks like this
[attach=#2][/attach]

So I exit and restart it

does it show balloon messages about starting up and being ready?

No, it never has

no errors yet?

None yet

ok now right-click on the icon and choose "show main window"

does the main window show ok?

Yes

and no errors yet?

Not yet

I just got this doing a <Ctrl>-C composing this message
Capture3.JPG

Followed by
Capture4.JPG

if so, go to menu View->Options and then "Backup/Maintenance" tab, and click the "Now" button located at top middle.

any errors yet?

That was OK. I can also restore that backup OK, and when I click "Verify or Repair Database" it doesn't error.

Bizzare indeed...

Thanks,
Steve

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 08:13 AM »
All of these weird errors seem to be blossoming from one core problem -- it's having trouble saving temporary database files.

I appreciate your patience.. We'll figure this out if you are willing to stick with me and keep enduring all of this annoyance of testing..

Here's another thing i'd like you to look for:  If you go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\DonationCoder\Clipboard Help+Spell\Database\Temp
do you see numbered files in that directory? Like "123456.dat"?

The last time we encountered this kind of problem it seemed to be due to the program trying to create temporary files and security software on the pc blocking it from accessing the newly created files.. but creating them in that directory *should* have solved the problem.  Can you try adding that directory to your antivirus exclusion list?

Also, can you try this:
From Layouts menu choose "Standard", and then take a screenshot and post it -- i want to see if you have the proper groups tree.

Are you running as an administrator account? If not can you try that and see what happens?

And one more thing to try:

Download again newest alpha: https://www.donation...elpAndSpellSetup.exe
Install it on top of previous version is fine.
Run it and go to options and then the last "Statistics" tab, and screenshot that and post screenshot.  That will now tell us something.

(ps. There is a tiny chance the newest alpha will solve the problem -- fingers crossed!)

deepskytraveler

• Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Tried the newest alpha version. Since there were no clips that I had to retain I deleted all the files in the database folder before reinstalling. Also added the database temp folder as an exclusion in my antivirus software per your suggestion. Installed and started up without incident. Went through a quick sequence of copy operations for how I am using CHS. So far so good - no DBISAM errors! Will be working with it some more over the next few hours and will let you know if I encounter any issues.

Mark

deepskytraveler

• Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Was capturing a few more clips. Then I clicked on a clip in the grid captured earlier today I got the following error.

Error DB44: DBISAM Engine Error #10258 Cannot lock record in the table 'Clip Table'

Mark

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 08:45 PM »
what on earth is going on..  :(
i really thought this had solved it.  i really wish i had never used the dbisam database engine in this program, it has been nothing but trouble.

can you figure out a sequence of operations that can reliably reproduce this error? after you make the error go away can you do other things?

can you take a screenshot of or post the first few lines in the Statistics tab of options.

also can you take a screenshot of your main CHS window?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:20 PM by mouser »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 09:25 PM »
On W764 I have CH+S open at its main window and then minimized and ALSO totally inaccessible. The only way out is to kill it off.

It looks as if part (but only part) of the problem might be tied into the 'can't make modal visible' issue, some sort of offshoot of which could be why I can't get CH+S to show up at all — other than on the task bar.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 09:30 PM »
ps ive uploaded yet another alpha build with another tiny tweak, in case this might help fix the locking error (unlikely).

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 09:31 PM »
chris can you elaborate -- im not understanding your problem or if its related to database issue or if its new or what triggers it or..

i think maybe you have an issue with a modal window bug that can happen if the options are showing and you trigger hide and show of main window.

to confirm this: next time it happens use alt+Tab to reselect Clipboard help+spell, and see if it fixes showing the options dialog on top again.

(let's try to leave this thread for the evil soul crushing database errors)

spknapp

• Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 10:31 PM »
I've loaded your "latest" (9:30PM) version and it seems quiet for now anyway - with MSE real-time turned off. Here's answers to some of your questions:

Here's another thing I'd like you to look for:  If you go to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\DonationCoder\Clipboard Help+Spell\Database\Temp
do you see numbered files in that directory? Like "123456.dat"?
Yes

Also, can you try this:
From Layouts menu choose "Standard", and then take a screenshot and post it -- i want to see if you have the proper groups tree.
Capture.JPG

Run it and go to options and then the last "Statistics" tab, and screenshot that and post screenshot.  That will now tell us something.
Capture2.JPG

Bingo! When I turn MSE real-time back on I start getting DBISAM access denied errors. I added C:\Users\Steve\Documents\DonationCoder to the MSE exclude list and CH+S seems to be behaving itself. Now why did it just start up several days ago when I had been running v2.3.1 since early August without telling MSE to exclude that folder?

Bizarreness...

spknapp

• Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 11:29 PM »
Oops, spoke too soon - I just got this doing a <Ctrl>-C:
Capture.JPG
and
Capture2.JPG
I had to kill it with Task Manager/Process Explorer (SysInternals utility)

On to your requests...
exit program and restart it.

(stop as soon as you see any error when performing steps below):

give it a second or two to start up -- does it show balloon messages about starting up and being ready?
It never has shown any balloon messages about starting up and "Show Startup Tray Messages" is checked. Now on restarting it gives me
Capture3.JPG
and
Capture4.JPG
and
Capture5.JPG
and
Capture6.JPG
and
Capture7.JPG

ok now right-click on the icon and choose "show main window"

does the main window show ok? and no errors yet?
Yes

if so, go to menu View->Options and then "Backup/Maintenance" tab, and click the "Now" button located at top middle.

any errors yet?
OK for now. I can backup, restore, and verify the database without errors. (for now)

FYI
Capture8.JPG

And creating that caused
Capture9.JPG
and
Capture10.JPG
I was using the Windows 7 "Snipping Tool" to create that Statistics print for you. I'm feeling a pattern here....

Steve

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2011, 04:58 AM »
Now why did it just start up several days ago when I had been running v2.3.1 since early August without telling MSE to exclude that folder?

Well this is actually an interesting clue..

I changed where the temporary database files were being stored after version 2.03.01, from the operating system temp directory to the Temp subdirectory of database.  I changed it specifically to avoid these antivirus locking files problems.  And it seemed to work.. But maybe for some antivirus tools it has opposite effect?!?!?

Let me make it an option, and let's see if that might cure it for you -- if so i'll have to figure out the best way forward in general.. stay tuned for new update..

ps.
Thank you again for having the patience to help me track down these bugs.. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be.  I've said it before but i'll say it again -- for every one person who takes the time to report a bug like this, there have to be 10 or 20 who experience it and just uninstall the software in disgust.  So i really really appreciate your time.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2011, 05:23 AM »
Ok can you try the newest alpha, and go to the tweaks page and see if changing the new setting for where temporary DB files are kept is any help:

Screenshot - 10_13_2011 , 5_20_34 AM.png

NOTE: You must exit and restart the program after changing this value to have it take effect.

spknapp

• Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Just starting up my PC this morning I was greeted with:
1.jpg

Left-clicking the tray icon gave me:
2.jpg

Right-clicking and bringing up the main window worked, but the window didn't look right, so I closed out CH+S. Then I downloaded and installed your "5:23AM" update and applied the tweak for the temp directory. It seems quiet for now. I even removed the exclude entry from MSE and it seems to be behaving (for now). It even let me use the "Snipping Tool" without barfing. I am going to shutdown and restart my PC to see if the startup error from CH+S goes away. I'll report back on it's behavior. FYI - here's a shot of the statistics:
3.jpg

Maybe you're on to something here...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:52 AM by spknapp »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Very interesting.. fingers crossed.

deepskytraveler

• Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2011, 09:54 AM »
Just downloaded and tried your latest alpha using the system directory tweak. Didn't get any errors while working in the grid. However whenever I try to capture something in the clipboard I now get the following error.

1.jpg

deepskytraveler

• Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2011, 09:57 AM »
Whoops, forgot to post my statistic page.

image002.jpg

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2011, 09:59 AM »
I can see from the screeshot that it's not using system directory for temp files, can you double check and then make sure to restart program and repost new screenshot and let me know if error still happens?

deepskytraveler

• Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2011, 10:01 AM »
Whoops again! Sorry but I'm rushing through this and just noticed that after I changed the temp directory to the system temp directory I didn't restart CHS. So ignore my last two posts. I'll go through my test sequence again and report back.

Mark

deepskytraveler

• Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Okay. Worked much better once I restarted CHS and was pointed to the system temp directory. Was able to do a bunch of captures without problem. Then went into the grid and did a ctrl-A to select all and dragged to the recycle bin in the left pane. That caused this error. I had to kill CHS to get out of the loop.

image002.png

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Mark

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23 AM »
Image001 did not attach can you retry?
Iit may be that your old bad clip is confusing it.. let's ignore the ctrl+A error, and maybe if you feel like it, exit chs and delete the files in C:\Users\Mark\Documents\DonationCoder\Clipboard Help+Spell\Database\ so that you start from scratch, and let me know if you get any further errors with the new settings.

deepskytraveler

• Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2011, 10:28 AM »
Here is the error message:

image002.jpg

spknapp

• Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2011, 11:58 AM »
The restart went just fine. I am not experiencing any errors (for now). I can backup, restore, and verify the database. I did what deepskytraveler tried (#43 - went into the grid and did a <Ctrl-A> to select all and dragged to the recycle bin in the left pane) and it worked fine - I even restored that database and all my clips were back. It is behaving very nicely right now. AND it seems to be playing well with "Snippet Tool". I even reinstalled the IE spell checker "Speckie" that I suspected yesterday might be causing trouble and everybody's behaving like good little children.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

For giggles here's a scrape of my statistics:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2011, 12:06 PM »
fingers crossed!

deepskytraveler

• Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2011, 01:04 PM »
The good news is that it started off well.  Deleted the current database. Did a clean install of this morning's alpha version. Verified the integrity of the empty database. Ran it through my predominant usage with the program MegaStar. Captured clips from other programs. From the grid moved clips in and out of other folders including the recycle bin. All okay, no problems, no errors. Then I ran the verify/repair database function. Got this error:

stats.jpg

Then tried to exit from CHS by right-clicking and selecting exit. Got this error:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

After which CHS was still running but not responsive to any mouse clicks. Had to kill it with task manager.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Mark

deepskytraveler

• Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2011, 01:06 PM »
Not sure what I'm doing wrong with attachments. Here are the first and second error messages, hopefully...

image001.png

image002.jpg