ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Discussion of CMS suggestions for the DC software directory

<< < (8/17) > >>

mouser:
Agreed with what everyone says, but with one major caveat, that relates to this project and others: Some of us have very different attitudes about creating something that does not get used.

* If you are the kind of person who works on things like this and enjoys the experience and is happy to have spent the time on it even if it does not get used, then there is no reason not to work on it.
* But if you are the kind of person who would be upset if you spent days/weeks/months on a project only to find out that it's not quite the right solution and won't be used, then you need to be MUCH MUCH more careful about coordinating the time you spent with others, to make sure that you are working on something that will in fact get used.
* The middle ground here is the person who will be upset if it doesn't get used, but is a gambler and is banking on the gamble that their work will get used when it's finally unveiled in it's finished state.  This is almost always the worst choice you can make.
So figure out which kind of person you are and coordinate on that basis.  Doing research on different possible solutions is *always* helpful.  I'm just cautioning against spending too much time implementing something specific at this point, because i think there are quite a few tricky details about getting this right, and if we're going to go to the trouble of fixing this deficiency on DC, I'd like us to find a really good solution to it.

Veign:
mouser, maybe you should clarify. What it sounds like is someone, like App103, may deliver something that DC chooses not to use. Is that the case?

Also, no offense, but you're never going to get things right (or done) if you allow everyone to have an equal voice in what does or doesn't get created.  Design/development by committee just never works.

wraith808:
Design/development by committee just never works.
-Veign (March 04, 2011, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Again, point. :)

mouser:
I'm not a huge fan of development by committee -- but I am a fan of getting tons of input from everyone and then having one or two people try to put together one coherent solution that addresses the important concerns raised.

Regarding the software repository I was simply suggesting that because I don't yet have a feel for what a coherent solution would look like, I am a little bit hesitant to have app or anyone go spend a lot of time on something that may not get used, unless they are very comfortable with the idea that they are just implementing something for us to look at and consider, and not necessarily use in the end.

40hz:
To Mouser's point about a coherent solution, perhaps it would be beneficial to get some better understanding of what the goal(s) of having this directory is/are first? Because it starts sounding a little vague once we get beyond what looks to be unanimous agreement that it's a great idea and we want to do it.

So if this discussion is meant to be anything other than a general brainstorming session, maybe we really need to take a small and short step back.

It would be very helpful if Mouser, and/or those who make up DC's equivalent of a steering committee (if there is something like that for DC ;D) could help by clarifying what "The Big Win" would be for this project?

Once that's done it becomes much easier to talk shop, debate platforms, and decide which people are best able to make it all happen.

The reason I mention any of this is because the only time (ok, four times :redface:) I've ever had a project fail on me was when I went into one without a clear set of goals and a definition of what would constitute a successful completion.

Just my two and thinking out loud. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version