ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

In Western societies, how can a man have a hyphenated name? (and why!)

(1/5) > >>

zridling:
Someone explain this to me. I'm seeing more and more professional athletes artificially hyphenating their mother and father's surnames on their uniforms. Why! And how could you do this until you go through the legal process of changing your name? Me not understand the phenomenon, please help. The ones below sound like a Graham Norton skit:

Poore-Sapp
Looney-Ward
Little-Wang
Crapp-Beer
Long-Wiwi
Best-Lay
Wang-Holder
Hardy-Harr
Traylor-Hooker
Little-Gay

J-Mac:
Looks like something from a Leno monologue!

Actually though, this is not a modern concept. An example is the French magician Jean Eugène Robert-Houdin, generally considered to be the father of the modern style of conjuring, and often mistakenly referred to as "Robert Houdin". His name before he was married was Jean Eugene Robert. He married Mlle. Houdin, and obtained permission to use the old hyphenated form of the last name, Robert-Houdin. That was in 1830! And, yes: Harry Houdini took Robert-Houdin's name and added an "i" to it for his stage name.

Thank you.

Jim

nudone:
hmm, not sure what the legal requirements are here (in the UK) but plenty of "posh" people take on a hyphenated surname when they marry. it's all about them showing off their exceptional breeding, i suppose.

cranioscopical:
Someone explain this to me. I'm seeing more and more professional athletes artificially hyphenating their mother and father's surnames…
-zridling (March 01, 2011, 11:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Dashed if I know  :(

vizacc:
I have a friend (who will remain nameless)

He had a double-hyphen name.

The reason?

He was an orphan (i.e., both his parents died) and was raised by his auntie. That family decided to suffix the surname with his current surname.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version