topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 10:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: software that erases all unused xp files.............  (Read 2496 times)

sc2dave

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
software that erases all unused xp files.............
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:27 AM »
does someone have a program that deletes any parts of xp that is never used?Something that,if you don't use it after 30 days or so, will be deleted from the OS.  this would really streamline someone's comp.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: software that erases all unused xp files.............
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:38 AM »
It would be complicated to automate since there's not really a documented list of dependencies that I know of.  A different approach may be to create a stream-lined installer.  This site may be of interest:

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

If you hunt around you can find forums with custom scripts and help configuring them to your liking. I believe it depends on your particular set up if you can create a complete installer just from the files on your system partition.  Some OEMs put all the system files you need and some don't.

But check forums for particulars.  I did it once just to strip out games to make an installer for a Virtual Machine.  If you don't try to strip out too much stuff then it's not too difficult to get a working installer that's lean.  If you get too ambitious removing things you can end up with an install that doesn't function.  I'd recommend against trying to remove Internet Explorer from the install.  Too many things expect it to be there including the OS installer.

You may find it easier just to let it install, then remove it later. Of course if you are an avid IE user then it's moot. :)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:42 AM by MilesAhead »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: software that erases all unused xp files.............
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 05:43 AM »
Or you can follow Bold Fortune's original Slimming Down Windows XP guides and do it post-install.

He also created batch files to do everything he does in his guides but asks for a donation here, you would be wise to see if you can contact him first though as that blog hasn't been updated in 4 years.

I used to use his batch files on every install I did before I started using nlite to remove the fluff in XP pre-install.

It's quite an easy to follow guide but you would be wise to make a OS image after you've gone through each step that you wish to do, (plus the obligatory pre-butcher image).