ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Point About Grammar

<< < (14/17) > >>

housetier:
There is a weblog about grammar as well: Throw Grammar from the Train

I have only glimpsed at a post about National Grammar Day.

It shows that we are not alone with our concerns about grammar :)

crabby3:
Am I the only one that's annoyed by the seemingly decreasing quality of language in "professional" news, articles and general writing?

I really don't care about people making mistakes in forums or informal writing. A lot of people don't speak English as their first language, and that's not a problem. What I find annoying is "professional" media that simply don't know how to use English properly.

e.g.
* Statistical "outlyers". It's "outliers". Sigh...
* "mass nouns" -- They're called "countable" and "uncountable", not "mass".
* Verb agreement

The list goes on and on.

It's just jarring to get "hit" by grammar, spelling, and word choice mistakes that there really is no excuse for.

It's one thing for it to be "the odd time", but it's not. It's all the time.

Am I just super-anal? Is poor grammar really acceptable in professional media?

-Renegade (March 01, 2011, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

can't here/scan no pro info, yokel stuffs way 2 boaring to.  :)

Stoic Joker:
Am I the only one that's annoyed by the seemingly decreasing quality of language in "professional" news, articles and general writing?

I really don't care about people making mistakes in forums or informal writing. A lot of people don't speak English as their first language, and that's not a problem. What I find annoying is "professional" media that simply don't know how to use English properly.

e.g.
* Statistical "outlyers". It's "outliers". Sigh...
* "mass nouns" -- They're called "countable" and "uncountable", not "mass".
* Verb agreement

The list goes on and on.

It's just jarring to get "hit" by grammar, spelling, and word choice mistakes that there really is no excuse for.

It's one thing for it to be "the odd time", but it's not. It's all the time.

Am I just super-anal? Is poor grammar really acceptable in professional media?

-Renegade (March 01, 2011, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

-crabby3 (February 10, 2014, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yokels?! Hell man we're in "The South" grammar is so far gone here "the yokels" get close captioned on the history/discovery channel. God knows why the hell these people are considered fun to watch (much like a train wreck I guess). Jesus Christ man, when people have to be close captioned (e.g. translated for) on the local news because their enunciation is really that bad...there is a serious problem ... And I don't think it in the water either.  :D

IainB:
...Hell man we're in "The South" grammar is so far gone here "the yokels" get close captioned on the history/discovery channel...
-Stoic Joker (February 10, 2014, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---
If that were true, then I would suggest that the captions might be for the hard of hearing.
If it were not true, then it's a very droll remark.

crabby3:
--- End quote ---

Yokels?! Hell man we're in "The South" grammar is so far gone here "the yokels" get close captioned on the history/discovery channel. God knows why the hell these people are considered fun to watch (much like a train wreck I guess). Jesus Christ man, when people have to be close captioned (e.g. translated for) on the local news because their enunciation is really that bad...there is a serious problem ... And I don't think it in the water either.  :D
--- End quote ---

Don't know where you are.  I'm in 'the South of Florida'.  Not The South or The Deep South.  That begins to end up around the border.
Back when the History and Discovery channels had less *reality* crap they had shows referring to The South.  Never mentioned Florida.
It was always Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Carolinas ..

Florida seems to be like a giant gravity water filter.  Don't know about Tampa but as you pass Mickey... most of 'The South' was been trapped.
Some make it down as far as the lake but the All-You-Can-Eat catfish places usually grab those.

...Hell man we're in "The South" grammar is so far gone here "the yokels" get close captioned on the history/discovery channel...
--- End quote ---
If that were true, then I would suggest that the captions might be for the hard of hearing.
-IainB (February 10, 2014, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

When Closed-Captioned first started, down here, a voice would say: This program is Closed-Captioned for the hearing-impaired.  Of course this was stupid.
Soon they switched to verbage only.  Much, much better.  These days it's just cc in a box.

can't here/scan no pro info, yokel stuffs way 2 boaring to.
--- End quote ---

... hard making this joke .. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version