ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unsubscribe to 404

<< < (3/4) > >>

Renegade:
;D I've got over 350 email forwarders on one domain.  When I start getting spam on one of 'em, I redirect the forwarder.  Most of the spam I see is on unique email addresses I've used to sign up for different Web sites - prolly not intentionally released by the site(s) in question, as a sniffer parked on server traffic could do the job - but the standard response is, "You leased, loaned, or leaked this address:  it is now closed."  It's amazing how little spam I receive any more  :huh:  :P.

Not a cure for everyone.  Some don't have domains, others that do won't take the time - ten (10) to twenty (20) seconds - to create an alias, e.g., {websitenamelist|ownernamelist}.domain.tld, because, "It takes too long."  But the only spam I cannot cure  is to my primary address, so a scant half minute doesn't seem to me to be to much to spend to create a traceable alias, and I get a great deal of satisfaction redirecting those aliases  :P :P.
-barney (March 04, 2011, 10:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Many years ago I made a mistake with my personal email address, and have been paying ever since. So I don't worry about it at all anymore and simply use it for everything.

What would be really cool is something like you mentioned with: {websitenamelist|ownernamelist}.domain.tld

But having it automatic so that you can simply enter the email address without creating it and have the server automatically accept it for you. Or have a quick utility to give you the email address that the server would automatically recognize. It could be done very easily with symmetric encryption and GUIDs or unique codes.

mahesh2k:
Some email list marketers use thing called 'double opt-in'. This is a strategy to keep customer in your umbrella all the time. For example you unsubscribed from their [email protected] address and then they re-opt you at [email protected] address. You again unsubscribe and then they again opt you in manually. This is pain and so many subscribers simply report spam to that address to stop it from getting in inbox.

housetier:
Ah and here I had a completely different understanding of "doublt opt-in": I thought not only do you (or someone else) have to provide your email address and tick the checkbox, but also you receive a confirmation email that asks to confirm the subscription. If no such confirming action is taken, the email address is not used.

Of course spammers will not care about confirmations.

barney:
But having it automatic so that you can simply enter the email address without creating it and have the server automatically accept it for you. Or have a quick utility to give you the email address that the server would automatically recognize. It could be done very easily with symmetric encryption and GUIDs or unique codes.
-Renegade (March 05, 2011, 12:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

That utility sounds like a Coding Snack  ;D.  Might be a bit complex, though.  The main hosting control panels of which I'm aware are cPanel and Plesk, but a number of hosting companies roll their own.  Still, I'd think that the aggregate genius that is DC could come up with something workable  :P.

Would have made an interesting project for the current fund raiser, had it been broached in time  :-*.

JavaJones:
Double opt-in is a *good* practice and is as housetier describes. Perhaps others are incorrectly using the term to describe the malicious tactics mahesh mentions?

One way of getting the "quick, easy auto-creation of aliases" function is to have a catch-all on your domain emails that sends all mail to your box and then simply *deny*/reroute/filter those addresses that get spammed. It can take a little while to build up the deny list at first, during which you'll get more spam, if only from the spamming practice of sending to random/commonly used email aliases across domains (e.g. [email protected]). But once you setup some deny rules, then all you need to do is enter e.g. [email protected] (like [email protected]) to sign up for something with a unique email address for that service, and if it ever starts getting spammed, just filter/block that specific address and leave the rest. Works for me.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version