ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unsubscribe to 404

<< < (2/4) > >>

Eóin:
i didn't know that the 'unsubscribe' link actually works. more often than not, it's like sending a confirmation to the spammer that there is a live person at the other end. i usually hit the spam button 1st and ask questions later. :D
-lanux128 (March 01, 2011, 07:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah I heard of that as an increasingly prevalent scam.

J-Mac:
I never use the Unsubscribe links for unsolicited email messages. That is the very definition of spam. However if I don’t want anymore email from a source that I actually did sign up for at some time, then I always give the Unsubscribe link a try. Only fair, really.

Thank you.

Jim

housetier:
When I get unsolicited email messages I do it like J-Mac. If I did subscribe before and the unsubsciption scheme doesn't work, I try their contact email, asking them to remove my email address form their list and from their partners, subcontractors and such like as well.

Failing that, a filter is easily set up to delete all those emails :)

J-Mac:
My biggest bitch about Unsubscribe links are the ones where they want even more personal information to unsubscribe you! I started getting emails from, of all people, both the Democratic and Republican political parties, local, state, and national organizations. I never visited their web sites or signed up for anything but I guess someplace did me the "favor" (Grrrr..) of sharing their email list with them. At all levels when I clicked on the Unsubscribe links it brought me to a page where they wanted me to fill out a web form that asked about every bit of personal information imaginable. They supposedly needed it to make sure that I was really me - yeah, right! So they earned an automatic spam report. Now all their emails go to the Junk folder daily.

Another major annoyance was Panda Anti-Virus. Biggest spammer I have ever encountered. I used their online virus scan once several years ago and you had to enter your email address first. Foolishly I entered my daily-use email address. Actually back then I think that was the only address I had; I hadn't started using a throwaway service yet. Spam wasn’t a big problem for me at the time. Boy, did Panda ever give me a wake-up call! Started with a few emails per week but soon grew to daily emails, selling their AV products. The more I tried to get them to stop, the more I received from them. Last I remember I was getting an average of 8 to 10 spam emails daily from Panda, ironically many of which were trying to sell me their new anti-spam program!

Jim

barney:
 ;D I've got over 350 email forwarders on one domain.  When I start getting spam on one of 'em, I redirect the forwarder.  Most of the spam I see is on unique email addresses I've used to sign up for different Web sites - prolly not intentionally released by the site(s) in question, as a sniffer parked on server traffic could do the job - but the standard response is, "You leased, loaned, or leaked this address:  it is now closed."  It's amazing how little spam I receive any more  :huh:  :P.

Not a cure for everyone.  Some don't have domains, others that do won't take the time - ten (10) to twenty (20) seconds - to create an alias, e.g., {websitenamelist|ownernamelist}.domain.tld, because, "It takes too long."  But the only spam I cannot cure  is to my primary address, so a scant half minute doesn't seem to me to be to much to spend to create a traceable alias, and I get a great deal of satisfaction redirecting those aliases  :P :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version