ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unsubscribe to 404

(1/4) > >>

Renegade:
Why is it that most email lists that I try to unsubscribe from have an unsubscribe link in their emails that go to some sort of a 404 page? Sigh...  :-\

app103:
The unsubscribe link has to be there because of the laws in the US, but the law didn't mention anything about the page it leads to actually working, so in order to prevent you from unsubscribing, some site owners don't actually provide a real unsubscribe option.

They think they are being smart but in fact it's quite stupid, because whenever that happens, I have no alternative but to hit the spam button, which hurts them in the long run. If they didn't want me to do that they'd fix their unsubscribe so I can do it the right way.

lanux128:
i didn't know that the 'unsubscribe' link actually works. more often than not, it's like sending a confirmation to the spammer that there is a live person at the other end. i usually hit the spam button 1st and ask questions later. :D

KynloStephen66515:
Im just not daft enough to give my "used" e-mail address for anything I sign-up to :P - I have a special one I use for that stuff which I only login if they want me to confirm my registration...even my facebook aint my "used" address lol

MilesAhead:
Most forums I am on the unsubscribe link works to unsubscribe from a topic. But for "deal email updates" it's really annoying. You unsubscribe, then get a nice looking notice that they are sorry if they cluttered up your inbox and won't do it anymore.  Then 2 days later you're right back on the spam list.

Seems like customer relations and marketing departments don't communicate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version