Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 17, 2014, 01:42:56 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2011! Download 30+ custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Windows7 user administration question  (Read 1797 times)
kartal
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: March 01, 2011, 05:22:03 PM »

Hi

I am, having a weird issue here and I thought that someone with proper skills might help me out.

Everytime I save, create files or folders it is created with "administrators" owner. Now my user name is part of administrators group, but the name is not "administrators". This issue makes file access complicated, second I do not think that it should say "administrators" in the owner tab or security properties.  I feel like something is messed up in this scheme.

What would be the right way to fix this issue? I would like my files and folders to be created with the right user name, distinguishable user name

I am on Windows7 64bit

thanks
hpearce
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:57:55 AM »

Mine says Administrators group too

Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX
kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »

Does that sound right though? I really would like my 'owner" to say my user name, this might complicate things.
timns
Supporting Member

Veni, vidi, debuggi

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 01:46:51 PM »

Right click.

Go to Properties.

Security Tab.

Click Advanced.

Owner Tab.

Edit.

kartal
Supporting Member

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »

timms, that resolves per folder or file but that does not solve my problem. My problem is that the ownership shows up as "administrators" in all my drives regardless of what they are. SO it looks like it is by default.
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 01:52:21 PM »

Everytime I save, create files or folders it is created with "administrators" owner.

(...Create the file) Where? If it is in your My Documents folder then that could be a bit odd. On the other hand, if it's on the root of C: then that (ain't just yours...) would track with letting other/all administrators have full access/control of it.
mwb1100
Supporting Member

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »

timms, that resolves per folder or file but that does not solve my problem. My problem is that the ownership shows up as "administrators" in all my drives regardless of what they are. SO it looks like it is by default.

Here's Microsoft's rationale for this behavior (on XP anyway - basically, they figure that if you're an admin doing stuff on the machine, another user who's an admin probably would need to muck with the files):

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101768

On XP this was controlled by a local group policy setting that was removed in Vista (so it's not in Win7 either):

- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947721

Vista changed this for reasons (and ways) that I don't fully comprehend:

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 do not support this setting any longer. When enabled, User Account Control (UAC) will ensure the user account is being used as owner for all objects created locally. For remote access, the administrators group will be used there is no restricted token for network sessions.

It sounds like it's saying that if UAC is enabled you'll get the behavior you want (do you have UAC disabled?).  If that's the case, it doesn't say how you'd get the behavior you want while UAC is disabled.

There's a Server Fault question about this stuff (http://serverfault.com/qu...-it-giving-ownership-to-t), and the answer that discusses the situation on Vista and later behavior seems to explain things a little better, or at least differently. But I'll confess to still being  somewhat confused. Since my head is starting to hurt, I'll leave it to you to understand better...
4wd
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 05:19:15 PM »

Right click.

Go to Properties.

Security Tab.

Click Advanced.

Owner Tab.

Edit.

Using TakeOwnership is a little easier.

ie. Right click -> Take Ownership

Ownership changes from Administrators to current user.

BTW, it's not recommended you do this on any Windows system folders, (Users, ProgramData, Program Files, Windows, etc), you'll most likely FUBAR the system.....I know, I've done it tongue

I am on Windows7 64bit

Home, Pro, Ultimate, Enterprise?

Single user system?

Multi-user with only one admin, (you) ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:33:53 PM by 4wd » Logged

Four wheel drive: Helping you get stuck faster, harder, further from help...........and it's no different on this forum Evil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.04s | Server load: 0.02 ]