ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official Announcements

Official Fundraiser Blog Day by Day

<< < (2/7) > >>

mouser:
Ok it's day 4 of the fundraiser.  We're at $5,270 donated by 239 individuals.  Not bad!

Yesterday I talked a little about the different areas on the website, including the Coding Snacks section of the forum, where anyone can post a request for a program that they would like to see created, and where coders implement those ideas as freeware.

Today's "Fundraiser Release of the Day" is the results of a Coding Snack request.

As described in this thread, WinButtons is a program launcher with large buttons, designed for touch screen displays.  It was released today by DC member Ath, based on a request from back in January of this year.

You can learn more about WinButtons, download it (exe and source code), and request new features, all on:

* WinButtons forum thread.

mouser:
Ok day 5 of the fundraiser.  We're at $5,900 donated by 269 individuals.  Almost at our $6,000 goal -- if we reach that we will extend the thermometer range and keep going!

Today for the fundraiser celebration we have a new mini-review, by DC member Tomos, of a new program called Scrivner, which is still in beta:

Scrivener is a tool for writers. It's basically an rich text outliner with a very nice gui, and the ability to show/edit summaries of a folder's content (the corkboard), and of course the ability to export/compile all those entries as one document (images not supported)

It is still in beta. Initial impressions are good, but I have been able to crash it by importing an image (I have yet to see can I reproduce that), and I have found a bunch of minor bugs. In general it seems well behaved though and very usable.
--- End quote ---

* Read the full mini-review: here.

mouser:
Day 6 of the fundraiser.. Last night we reached our goal of $6,000 raised (!).  Thank you to everyone who donated.  That's enough to pay for a full year of our deluxe hosting for the site.  As we did two years ago during the last fundraiser, we've extended the range of the thermometer and will keep going for the remainder of March -- hoping to break $10k.  I hope you will join us if you haven't already (if you have donated during the fundraiser, why not post to this thread and say hello).

For today's fundraiser release, DC member timns (famous creator of the awesome Head in the Clouds web comic) has posted an interesting How To guide for "Using Skype to Monitor Remote Systems".

We provide a little network of servers that host several web services with various API's. Obviously, as part of this we have to offer support and are committed to fairly aggressive SLA's.  In order to help with this, I decided to implement a continual monitoring system to alert us of any systems falling over in our little farm. Being on a limited budget and an inveterate code tinkerer, I set up a little project to see if I could rustle something up. As far as I am aware, this is a novel approach to real-time systems monitoring. A sort of "poor man's Tivoli" if you like.
--- End quote ---

I tend to avoid anything that reminds me of a phone, but I have recently come to appreciate the value of skype as a tool for collaboration over long distances.

Click here to read the full HowTo now..

mouser:
Day 7 of the Fundraiser and we're going strong.  If you've been following the fundraiser so far you know that each day we're trying to post something new -- a new minireview, coding snacks, major software update,etc.

Today it's my turn, and I've released a major new version of my Clipboard Help+Spell application for getting the most out of your windows clipboard, along with a new 15 minute overview video on the program.  I hope you find it useful.

The video is: here.

You can download the program from the Clipboard Help+spell web page.

mouser:
It's day 8 of the fundraiser, and we're soldiering on.. $7,564 raised so far -- well passed our initial goal but the donations have definitely slowed down dramatically since they peak rate after the fundraiser email/newsletter went out.  That's to be expected -- all of the existing fans of the site have by now sent in their donations, and right now we are seeing the slow march of new donors succumbing to our modest charms..

For day 8, DC member Stoic Joker (author of the popular printer tool Page Countster), released a new utility called "(File & Folder) Fix When".  It's a tool for batch updating file data/time stamps:

* Read more and download: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=25999

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version