ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Trying to switch to Opera: Need help, tips

<< < (4/5) > >>

Paul Keith:
They will/should sync up with LastPass. Sometimes it takes a while but it kind of defeats the point of Lastpass if they don't.

InstantFundas:
You forgot the rarest feature that even extensions rarely implement in other browsers: 1 and 2 for switching between left and right tabs as well as customizable keyboard shortcuts, ones that allow things such as ctrl+shift+w to close the tab and instead of switching to the right, it switches to the left.-Paul Keith (March 02, 2011, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Those were just from the top of my head. There are tons of hidden features.

Oh, another one: open the side panel, click on the '+' sign and select "windows". Now open the windows panel and you can see the list of all opened tabs. Ta-da! that is the tree view Chrome and Firefox is experimenting with now. Opera had it for years. Now you can drag and arrange tabs and even move them from one window to another.

Sigh...too bad Opera keeps hiding and switching these around now. Unless you saved your keyboard shortcuts file, expect a lot of these hotkeys to disappear or change on a whim. I'm not even sure they even have a hotkey for saving sessions with the active window checked. Opera's features are getting a re-haul and I apologize for sounding like a hater, I just wanted to warn users who might think to switch to Opera specifically for those features.
-Paul Keith (March 02, 2011, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thats' a good advice. Backing up the opera settings folder is what I do.

NigelH:
I use these often ...

Ctrl+shift+c - copy text to note (search and launch anytime via Notes in side panel)

Ctrl+shift+L - fast media download via a Links page (or see Tools menu)
Use on a page with direct media links (mp3/mpg/jpg/pdf etc.).
Use search to filter displayed list of links (e.g use .pdf in search)
Select some or all links, right click for menu.
Use Save Linked Content As.. for individual specific downloads or use Save to Download folder for one pass multi-download.

Use the Show Images button to rapidly switch images on/off (or use cached images only).
Via the same button, change the display mode to user mode etc. I use this a lot to remove clutter from a web page.

Type opera: in address bar to access various opera internal stuff like config, history, cache etc.

PS: Make sure you know how to backup your wand, notes, bookmarks etc..

jgpaiva:
Ctrl+shift+L - fast media download via a Links page (or see Tools menu)
Use on a page with direct media links (mp3/mpg/jpg/pdf etc.).
Use search to filter displayed list of links (e.g use .pdf in search)
Select some or all links, right click for menu.
Use Save Linked Content As.. for individual specific downloads or use Save to Download folder for one pass multi-download.
-NigelH (March 02, 2011, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
This thread is quickly turning into a goldmine!

InstantFundas:

Use the Show Images button to rapidly switch images on/off (or use cached images only).
Via the same button, change the display mode to user mode etc. I use this a lot to remove clutter from a web page.

-NigelH (March 02, 2011, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is my favorite. I always browse with cached image. Pages open in a snap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version