ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Trying to switch to Opera: Need help, tips

<< < (3/5) > >>

Lashiec:
If you were using KeePass all this time to store your passwords, migrating them from Firefox to Opera is a piece of cake. As long as you use the Auto-Type feature, that is, which, judging by your comments, you don't seem to. You would not need to migrate anything even, since the app is cross-browser and cross-platform (not as much as LastPass, though).

Also, LastPass can read at least one of the two KeePass database formats and import the passwords without going through so much hassle :)

InstantFundas:
Here are some tips from a 5 year Opera user :)

* Ctrl+click on an image to save it. Nice and quick.

* On search engine results page, press <spacebar> at the bottom of the page to automatically load the next page. It also works on other websites and blogs that has pagination, although on blogs the behavior is erratic.

* SHIFT+Spacebar scrolls page up

* Ctrl+click opens link in new tab

* Ctrl+shift+click opens link in background tab, i.e. the new tab does not steal focus

* CTRL+Mouse Wheel to Zoom in and out

* CTRL+Spacebar to open homepage

* Hold down the right mouse button and roll the mouse wheel to cycle through the open tabs

* To add a new search engine, just place your mouse pointer on the search box, right click and from the menu click Create search

* Install Opera widgets and use them as standalone programs. No opera needed.

* And yeah, do checkout the extensions.

jgpaiva:
InstantFundas: thanks for the "shift+spacebar" tip, I didn't know about that one :)

Paul Keith:
Here are some tips from a 5 year Opera user :)

* Ctrl+click on an image to save it. Nice and quick.

* On search engine results page, press <spacebar> at the bottom of the page to automatically load the next page. It also works on other websites and blogs that has pagination, although on blogs the behavior is erratic.

* SHIFT+Spacebar scrolls page up

* Ctrl+click opens link in new tab

* Ctrl+shift+click opens link in background tab, i.e. the new tab does not steal focus

* CTRL+Mouse Wheel to Zoom in and out

* CTRL+Spacebar to open homepage

* Hold down the right mouse button and roll the mouse wheel to cycle through the open tabs

* To add a new search engine, just place your mouse pointer on the search box, right click and from the menu click Create search

* Install Opera widgets and use them as standalone programs. No opera needed.

* And yeah, do checkout the extensions.-InstantFundas (March 02, 2011, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

You forgot the rarest feature that even extensions rarely implement in other browsers: 1 and 2 for switching between left and right tabs as well as customizable keyboard shortcuts, ones that allow things such as ctrl+shift+w to close the tab and instead of switching to the right, it switches to the left.

Sigh...too bad Opera keeps hiding and switching these around now. Unless you saved your keyboard shortcuts file, expect a lot of these hotkeys to disappear or change on a whim. I'm not even sure they even have a hotkey for saving sessions with the active window checked. Opera's features are getting a re-haul and I apologize for sounding like a hater, I just wanted to warn users who might think to switch to Opera specifically for those features.

wreckedcarzz:
My risk assessment was based on the words "all my main passwords", combined with "to see how it works". The risk is in the fact that you want to see how it works, but you are using your main passwords, that can open quite important information... These terms don't combine well in safety-land, IMHO.
-Ath (March 02, 2011, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, yes, I'm not overly concerned though. *grabs tin foil hat*

If you were using KeePass all this time to store your passwords, migrating them from Firefox to Opera is a piece of cake. As long as you use the Auto-Type feature, that is, which, judging by your comments, you don't seem to. You would not need to migrate anything even, since the app is cross-browser and cross-platform (not as much as LastPass, though).

Also, LastPass can read at least one of the two KeePass database formats and import the passwords without going through so much hassle :)
-Lashiec (March 02, 2011, 09:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just a thought, but can I export my FF passwords into LastPass, and then they will sync up with Opera? Or would I have to use the desktop application to do that?

InstantFundas, thanks for that list - I've used a couple of those before, but new ones, especially like loading the next page and one-click image downloading, are going to be handy to know! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version