I installed Win7 w/SP1 (a clean install - not an upgrade) on a system that had been running WinXP for many years in a multi-mon configuration. things are working more or less fine with Win7 except for one irritating issue - whenever I reboot, whether it's a restart or after a full power-down, the secondary display doesn't get detected - I have to go into ATI's Catalyst tool and manually "detect displays" after which the secondary monitor works fine. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about how I might fix this?
A few more details:
- I have to use the Catalyst display detect button - the one in the Win7 Display control panel doesn't work (!?)
- the video board is a low-end ATI Radeon HD 3650 PCIe - I don't recall the manufacturer
- I updated the ATI drivers to the set available for download from AMD yesterday (Catalyst version 11.2)
- the video card has 2 outputs, both are DVI connectors. One has a DVI-HD15 adapter and is connected to a Dell E196FP monitor (Analog HD15 VGA), the other is connected with a DVI-D cable to a Sony SDM-HX93 Monitor. The Dell monitor detects as and is used as primary, the Sony monitor is the one with the detection problems.
- swapping the monitor connectors on the video card doesn't help
- both monitors display the BIOS startup screen and the Win7 boot up animation. This suggests to me that hardware isn't an issue - there must be some driver tweak I can set. The Sony goes dark when the Win7 logon screen is displayed.